Hi I wondered if anyone could tell me the difference between these two blood test results please

Posted , 4 users are following.

My way of thinking hoping is that the second one means its going down which if it is YAY lol

GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD > 90 mL/min/1.73m*2 [> 90]

GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD 77.4 mL/min/1.73m*2 [> 90]

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Yvonne,

The GFR number is actually one that is better higher rather than lower. The National Institute of Health provides this information, "GFR is reported as a number. A GFR of 60 or higher is in the normal range. A GFR below 60 may mean you have kidney disease. A GFR of 15 or lower may mean kidney failure."

As you can see, both of your GFR numbers are above 60 so are in "the normal range." However, my nephrologist would say that the other significant issue in interpreting this data is the timeframe within which this decrease in GFR occurred. He would also be looking to see if this drop was due to something like a medication I was taking, etc. Your age is also a relevant factor as we loose some renal function as we age. However, my understanding at this point, as a layperson (not a physician), is that sudden changes in renal function may be reason for concern.

Anyway, if it were me, I would talk with my nephrologist about this data. If I wasn't yet seeing a nephrologist, I'd definitely discuss this data with my primary care physician; perhaps request a referral to see a nephrologist just to get this checked out. Nevertheless, a GFR of 77.4 is still plenty of renal function.

Best wishes,

Marj

• Posted

Thank you Marj for your detailed response, I do have a simple kidney cyst on my left kidney, which started to grow last year. I am on Methtrexate injections 25mg which I call the devil med, as I know it can cause many sinister health issues. I am seeing my gp this afternoon and see what he says. Thanks again xxx
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne,

Unfortunately the filtering ability of your kidneys has dropped (GFR means glomerular filtering rate). You may have kidney trouble. If I were you I would go and see my doctor to discuss this. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Yyonne,

I am not sure that a pair of numbers means much on their own.  eGFR falls with age; and this is normal.  It also falls with losses in kidney function due to disease or damage.  We would need to know your age, what was the time period between the tests, why were you tested and were  there  symptoms of kidney problems.

Having said that your eGFR numbers are well above those at which you would need to be concerned.  You could be advised by the GP to have regular blood tests to see what progression there was if any.

KenR

• Posted

Hi KenR

Thank you for your reply. I am 53 years young wink have lots of health issues. Was born with DiGeorge Syndrome only diagnosed with this at 48, must have slipped through the net. I have NAFLD, all arthritisis going plus osteopsorisis pernicious aneamiea to name but a few.

I think I said the other day that I have Methotrexate injections self administered every week 25mg that could well be playing a part in the role. I am seeing my GP on Monday afternoon so will be asking him some questions as to why he keeps marking these as abnormal, but expected, and no further action needed. I think he is on his favourite term of 'Watch & Wait'.

I also have eptopic heart beats. Thank you for your reply smile

• Posted

Forgot to say the first test was done on the 3rd July and the second one was done on the 9th of August so I guess he is monitoring it at least
    • Posted

Hi Yyvonne,

I had a look on the net, and kidney damage can be caused by methotrexate.  It would be my first candidate to suspect.  The problem is that almost all other meds for arthritis also can damage your kidneys.  I would be asking your GP if there is anything you can have that is kidney safe!

• Posted

Thank you for your help and support Ken. I am seeing my gp tomorrow and have booked a double appointment in case I run over time that I always do lol
  • Posted

Yvonne, 

I'm not sure why they haven't yet posted my initial reply to you (I'm fairly new to this discussion forum so am just learning a little more about how it functions), but I'm pleased to see that you plan to visit with your doctor about your data tomorrow. 

My nephrologist says my creatinine is the more accurate data. He says the GFR tends to be less accurate and can fluctuate more than the creatinine. However, I have no idea whether that comment is specific to me or something that would apply to a renalnpanel data. So it is most important to speak specifically with your doctor about your data.

You might also consider asking if it is time to see a nephrologist. You've still got a goodly amount of function now but it is deteriorating rather quickly. Consequently, it might be good to see a nephrologist to protect the function you have at this point.

Marj

• Posted

I guess the admin on here have to moderate every post must be a hell of a job, one I wouldnt want lol. Your orignal post is now visible and most helpful so thank you for that. My CRP is always high at present its level is 31.

Hope you are having a good day Marj xx

• Posted

I can't imagine having to review all the posts before they are posted🐶 Definitely not something I would enjoy. But clearly it is something I appreciate.

Hope you get good news from your doctor this week. I have an appointment with a new nephrologist this week on Wednesday.  I've been referred to this new nephrologist because my regular nephrologist hasn't been able to figure out what is going on with my kidneys. He has said numerous times that I should have much more function than I've got. (I've got approximately 14-15% function right now.) So, I'm guardedly optimistic about this appointment and this new nephrologist. I'm hopeful that he will be able to modify my treatment plan to either improve my renal function some or, at a minimum, improve how I'm feeling and functioning on a daily basis. If he isn't able to improve my renal function some I expect I'll be on dialysis within the next 6-9 months. But, until I reach that point, I'll continue to hope for the best and do exactly what he tells me to do🐶

Marj

• Posted

I wish you all the look in the world Marj. I am phoning my endocrinologist tomorrow as my own gp didnt mention it at all today. I went because my left leg is always bigger than the right and the ankle is quite painful when swollen, he said 'What do you think has caused it?' I thought bloody hell I thought you were a doctor not me lol I said well thats why Ive come to see you because I dont know what is causing it rolleyes

• Posted

Yes, one of my former doctors was seemingly unable to provide effective care for me. I changed to a different internist for primary care. I've been with her for two and a half years. She is a much better diagnostician. The doctor's I see today are each quite effective.

Apparently my renal data is just very unusual. So, I'm off to a university medical center this week. They are ranked as one of the top renal programs in the United States. In talking with the nurse when scheduling my appointment, I told her I wasn't sure there was anything that could be done but that my regular nephrologist has been puzzled. She responded by saying that they liked a good puzzle. I'm hoping so as I'm certainly bringing them a good puzzle.

I do think if this second nephrologist can't figure out what's causing my deteriorating renal function that I may just never know. Even if he does figure this out, there may be no improvement in my renal functioning.

Consequently, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for dialysis. That's the main reason I joined this forum; I needed to hear about life on PD dialysis. From others who have experienced that treatment. My current nephrologist has told me that I should be able to continue working while on PD dialysis. (Im a university professor and would hope to be able to keep working.) He also says that I'll be able to exercise while on PD dialysis. I know I would be able to eat more vegetables. Right now I can only eat 2000 mg of potassium daily. I also take a potassium binder. 

I've also got severe anemia. That is under effective treatment. My hemoglobin is typically between 11.0 and 11.5 with the medication. That's compared with 5.6 eithout medication. MY blood pressure runs either quite low or is elevated. I'm also retaining some fluid while struggling to stay hydrated. Apparently I've had severe dehydration due to chronic sodium deficiency. The dehydration is likely  the cause of my deteriorating renal function. But my nephrologist doesn't know what is causing the dehydration. He has also been unable to put a treatment plan in place that resolves the low sodium levels thereby normalizing my sodium level.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that I should be able to keep working and exercising while on PD dialysis. I've heard several encouraging stories about life with dialysis from many participating in this forum.  I'm prepared to embrace dialysis should that become my new normal at some point in the near or distant future.

Well, just a few days left before I see the new nephrologist. Hopefully I'll learn something shortly after that visit. Although I expect he will just gather information and order lab tests on Wednesday.

The not knowing is frustrating to me.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj

I do hope they can help you in some way. It is very scary for us while our health is going downhill. Please let me know how you go on <3 <3 <3

• Posted

Thanks, Yvonne🐶

Unfortunately now, nearly 4 weeks after my appointment with the university nephrologist, I'm still awaiting lab results. I've called but have only been able to leave a message. They have not responded. If I don't hear by this Wednesday, I'll call my insurance company to see if the labs have been billed out at this point. If I find the labs have been billed, I'll ask my regular nephrologist if he can help me get results. If they haven't yet been billed I'll call the university again and very likely have to leave another message. I may also try calling the university lab as that is likely where the blood would have been sent for analysis.

Anyway, this is clearly dragging on much longer than I had anticipated. So, I'm just trying to patiently wait this out right now. But thanks for checking in on me🐶

Marj

• Posted

Yvonne,

I'm getting some answers from the university nephrologist. My blood pressure has run low most of the time for the past 4 years. I've also had trouble with it suddenly plummeting several times a day. That would happen 3-4 times a day 5-7 days a week. The university nephrologist is really focusing on my blood pressure. He has said that it is low enough that it could have caused further permanent damage to my tubulars.

I think the university nephrologist may do a biopsy to see if there is more damage and, if so, how much. I only had about 20% of my tubulars damaged in August of 2013. (I had a biopsy done then.) My regular nephrologist has been sure that there is no additional damage. But he has also told me 3-4 times that my blood pressure was not too low to cause further damage. In fact, he told me that when my blood pressure suddenly drops, I should drink cold water, which is what I have been doing for the past several years.

Of course this is causing me to question the quality of care I've been receiving from my regular nephrologist. 

At this point, I'm planning to ask the university nephrologist if he plans to do a biopsy so he and I will both know exactly what's going on. In addition, I need to see if the university nephrologist is accepting new patients. I'm hoping he is and that he will be willing to take my case. That will at least resolve my concerns about my renal care.

But, I'm pleased to be getting a better idea of what's actually causing my deterioration in renal function. I'm hopeful that this improved understanding will lead to changes in my treatment so I'm at least feeling and functioning better.

I'm also hoping that if there has been additional damage that it isn't too extensive. Of course we won't know about that until another biopsy is completed.

What is clear at this point is that I'm seeing a nephrologist who knows what he's doing. For that I'm most thankful!!

Marj

• Posted

Thank goodness they are finally taking care of you, albeit a bit slowly they are getting started. Wishing you all the luck for your tests and am glad you are feeling better about being tested xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.