Hi, I would like to share the experience I had with a ch...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I would like to share the experience I had with a chronic inflamation of the submandibular saliva gland. It was eventually discovered through a computer tomography x-ray that I had a stone stuck in my gland (note that 2 previous ultrasound exams did not detect this problem). I had 2 small surgical procedures to remove the stone with an ethascope through my mouth. The first was unsuccessful and the doctor thought maybe there was no stone. But the symptoms continued intermittently. Then one day I went back to the same doctor and he could actually feel the stone with his finger in my mouth when examining me. He removed the stone that very day. This was a quite an unusual case because symptoms only came every so often and this is because the stone was moving from my gland to my saliva duct and back again.

I wanted to share this because the problem existed for 6 years. I saw 5 different doctors specialists. Most of them advised me to have an operation to cut the whole gland out. But I always thought that too extreme. That operation would leave a 2 inch scar on my throat.

Anyway I dont know if this story helps but I can elaborate more if you want.


[i:9522331770]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9522331770]

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    My father noticed a lump forming at the side of his jaw. He went to a Dr. who drained the saliva, this was about 5 years ago . Now, for about the last 3 months he noticed that his jaw was swelling again, he went to a doctor and he had a biopsy done. They told him it was a benign tumor of the submandibular gland. For the last 4 days he has been in pain and it continues to swell. My question is: What type of surgeon is best to treat this for surgery. I also believe it looks and feels like a stone, but they have said nothing about that. Your comment was very helpful. If you could elaborate more on the subject I would really appreciate it. Thank You

    [i:bec9c72cfe]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bec9c72cfe]

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    My 45yr. old husband has had swelling on the left side of his face off and on now for about 8 months...the first time his face was so swollen that his left eye was almost shut. He went to a walk-in clinic and was given an antibotic and pain medication...the swelling finally went down but a few weeks later, and off and on to this day, the swelling came back....he did tell me that before the first episode, he felt something very hard and rough in his mouth on that side of his face. I suspect he pushed a stone out through the inside of his mouth. The swelling followed along with an infection. What type of doctor or specialist should he see...dentist, ent, ???? I'm starting to get very nervous about this....want to rule out anything serious....any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thankyou

    [i:404b93b318]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:404b93b318]

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Barry - Did the doctors do a cat scan? My ENT doctor did a biopsy and a cat scan, showing only inflamation in both tests. She dilated the duct and said she would see if that helps, and if not I should have the gland removed (which I feel is extreme as well) I am having these horrible episodes with this gland and I am ready to just have it taken out. The gland swells I have heat and redness in my neck and face and I have passed out cold! Scary! I have had enough of this! What do you think?


    [i:de1214da0b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:de1214da0b]

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi there, I ve been having similar problems, a hard Immobile lump in my submandibular gland, I ve got an appointment to get it looked at by a maxillofacial and oral consultant. A maxillofacial and oral consultant is basically someone who has a dentistry & medicine qualification, I think that would be the best person to see.

    They mainly deal with facial deformity somtimes cosmetic, oral cancer/cancer of the glands, saliva gland disease, and impacted buried teeth.

    I hope this is of some use, if you google it you ll get some more information.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    oral health care is very important course today! a good dentists is the same.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up