Hi, im having my gallbladder removed and really scared about being put to sleep and not waking up, and the risks that comes with it

Posted , 16 users are following.

My consultant was telling me worst case scenarios for the op, one of them was if the tube leading to my bladder gets damaged during the op it will turn into a big problem. Im now more worried and concerned than ever

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

I had my GB removed about 4 years ago and I have never looked back. OK ther eis a risk with any surgery but thsi really wasn't a major issue for me.

I was kept in for 1 night then went home the following morning (Tuesday) and by Friday I was off all pain relief and living a normal life (if walking a little slower).

Now I do not miss the GB at all. I can eat anything I like and I am pain free. Most importantly I am not risking pancreatitis (which is very dangerous).

Yr Anaesthatist will talk you through the actual anaesthetic and will be aware of any risk factors - i was (and still am) quite a large lady so he was very careful with my BP but remember, these are professional people. They are not in the business of killing their patients. if they are willing to proceed then you should have nothing to worry about.

L

• Posted

Hi do you no of anyone who as been awake with this operation
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

U will b totally fine, surgeons have to tell everyone the risks but it is normally 1 in 1000 that have complications, so the likely hood of u having an issue under general will b minimum, the only complication I had was my temp & blood pressure being a bit everywhere and theN having the gas trapped causing more pain so couldn't lie flat or stand straight for a few days and getting a post op chest infection, but all of that is minor and morphine helped with that but things like that happen, I'm still recovering but I'm getting there every day :-) u will b fine honestly,it's commen people are in pain and wish they never went thro it the 1st few days but after that u will b thankful for it :-) stay positive and let the surgeon and nurses know that ur nervous, it's natural and then they know how to keep u at ease :-) xx

• Posted

You will be fine. It is normal to worry, trust you will get through this. The anaesthesia is actually great, you wake up as if no time passed.
  • Posted

Hello, all of her organs in our bodies are necessary. The gallbladder is just that. It is just a bladder. Like the bladder we have when we urinate. The bladder for urine is just that. The gallbladder or urine bladder are just like sacks. The bladder for urine holds your urine. Coldwater is a sack and only a sack that holds things like gallstones.

Without your gallbladder the stones instead of going into the gallbladder will just fall into your body cavity. Which can and will cause other problems down the road. Unless it was a life and death situation, I would do anything to avoid this surgery. Again, the gallbladder serves a REAL function in your body. Western medicine likes to cut. Not deal with the real problem like getting people to change their lifestyle and diet. If you started eating a plant based clean diet the symptoms and pain would totally disappear. It's sad that people are not educated about their bodies which leads people to put their trust in their doctors/surgeons. Please at all costs, don't let them remove your gallbladder!!!

• Posted

I work in a hospital, spend lots of time in theatres, know all about this stuff, and I was still terrified of my general anaesthetic!!

I'd never had one before, and just had no idea what I was letting myself in for.

in the end, I got a lovely anaesthetist (whom I knew from work, so that was nice), and it was actually lovely.  Drips go up, they put different things down them, give you a bit of oxygen in a nice mask (not one of those really old style scary, smelly ones), and then I remember feeling woozy and sleepy, and that's it.  Next I remember was waking up and feeling absolutely fine!  I didn't feel particularly groggy or anything.  The only thing I think I felt was slightly drunk - but that nice stage of drunk where you're just a bit chatty and sociable and think you're really funny (when actually you're probably not!).

there are risks to absolutely everything, and they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't tell you.  But then I guess it's up to us to decide whether a 1 in whatever risk of a certain complication is worth it to make the gallbladder pain go away.  I've had gallbladder issues for over 7 years, because when it all started, it wasn't that bad, so when they offered the operation, personally for me, the risks did not outweigh the benefits.

several years later when the pain got much worse and more frequent, I decided that the potential benefits far outweighed the risks.

but if you read the leaflet that comes with a pack of paracetamol it will tell you all kinds of horrible things that MIGHT happen.

good luck with your decision. Xx

• Posted

Your comment has put at ease especially about reading a pack of paracetamol I have my gallbladder out on the 10th of November and I'm terrified of not waking up but you've made me gain a bit of perspective! Thank you 😊

• Posted

Hi Helen i am waiting for date for gallbladder surgery and i am overweight so am anxious about the surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.