hi Im new here and really need someone to talk to

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im so scared at the moment.  I suffer with health anxiety so anything health related is hard for me but this is the toughest period I have ever been through.  I know this sounds really stupid but I should have been having mammograms for the last 10 years but have never been.  I have stuck my head in the sand and convinced myself that if I dont go then I dont have to deal with the results.  Breast cancer is my biggest worry (although it is only one of many).  My breasts have been quite painful off and on for years and sometimes if something brushes against them I think I can feel something.  I also get tender feelings under my armpits sometimes and recently I feel like theres something in my neck when I turn my head.  I dont self examine, like I said I just ignore and hope for the best.  I have now had a call for a mammogram and I have promised my family I will go but to say Im terrified would be the understatement of the century.  My thinking now is that, if as I think there has been a problem for years, then its going to be too late now to do anything about it and if thats the case then I would prefer not to know.  I know all this sounds really stupid and people wont understand my way of thinking but I cant help it, it has totally taken over my life now and Ive had enough of it.  Thanks for reading, I know its a bit long-winded. sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi to you,

I'm not a woman but I had a fear many years ago now that I had cancer,only 20,weight loss,pain,discomfort in stomach,worried myself sick over it,too scared to see the doctor,but of course eventually I did,had tests which threw up duodenal ulcer,which was dispersed in two weeks,all gone,clear mind again.

I know that this is a major concern for women that which you have highlighted,and a big concern at that.

But wait for your test results,your anxiety has got the better of you,and caused you to fear the worst,you know it can make you think some terrible things,but the proof of the pudding is in the eating,just try and relax and wait for your results,easy to say I know,but I have been there a few times in my life,fearing the worst and it all proved fruitless,in fact I now have Barretts esophagus a precursor,possibly to cancer and seeing as mum and dad died of Esophagus cancer,well where does that leave me?

But I am doing well,and so far all tests have been negative,I am glad of that.

I perfectly understand how you feel,and feel for you,I'm sure before long some lady will make you feel a lot better about things,there are some good people on this forum,till then don't self-diagnose and worry yourself even more,just let the professionals do their bit first,it will soon all be done with.

So I wish you well,and hope that you get a happy outcome.

Take good care of yourself!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi I also suffer with health anexity am 26 how are you if u don't mind me asking? 

The pain in your boobs won't be actually in your boobs it will be in your chest as you will be feeling anxious and the same for your arm pit. Maybe try and get some one to go with you to your mammogram i know it's hard but if your being asked to go for one u should you will get your results and it will be all fine. It's all in your mind what your worrying about. Everyone on here is in the same situation and u have us to help you. 

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies, good to have someone to talk to.  Im 61 (see I told you I was stupid, should have been having mammograms for years).  Im just terrified that the results wont be good and it will be too late to do anything about it.  My daughter has offered to go with me but I just dont know how Im going to do it and waiting for the results is going to be absolute agony for me.
  • Posted

Hi itsalltoomuch,

I'm 64,nearly 65,still moaning,still suffering anxiety,when will it ever end? (Peter,Paul and Mary,remember them).

Here's to the good times,down the road apiece!

Keep your chin up!

Yours Malc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.