hi im registered nurse i work in a care home

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi i work in a care home and predominately clients have medications covertly administered in a custard constitency due to spitting out medications or have problems with swallowing? Im aware your not allowed to crush or break this medications. but we are crushing the tablet convertly but how do we cover ourselves regarding the care plans.i know we have to liase with pharmacy which i will do that on monday.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda42162, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but I do have a question. Are your patients families aware of or have they given permission for this to be done. The practice strikes me as a violation of client/patient rights. If your clients have the mental capacity to refuse medication and understand the consequences I would say that right must be protected whether or not you agree with it. We are facing the reality of finding a care home for my father and I am alarmed at the attitudes towards the elderly in these institutions. It seems the individual comes second to profits and paperwork.
  • Posted

yeh obviously the relatives have given permission thats once of the policy alot of these clients have mental capacity impaired ie dementia. obviously if they have the capacity then i omit the medications. there are so many policies i cant keep up.wish you the best of look but before you check out the place look up there cissw reports on line and then u will have fair idea of improvements that need to be made.
    • Posted

Thank you and it is a relief to know you are only talking about the patients with dementia and swallowing issues.  My only experience with alendronic acid has not been at all positive and my father's GP admitted eventually that he had left Dad on it for way too many years (I think 5 should be the maximum).  I know there is mounting pressure in the USA to have it withdrawn and it has certainly contributed to the mess he is in now.  Even if the pharmacy says it is or isn't recommended to crush the tablet I,  my father and hundreds of other patients would recommend that a query should be raised with the GP's whether they need the alendronic acid in the first place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.