Hi, is it dangerous to stop taking Venlafaxine when I have tapered it to 37.5 mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, is it dangerous to stop taking Venlafaxine when I have tapered it to 37.5 mg. Also may I ask does anyone have any tips for withdrawal? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi JJ. I am on week seven of withdrawing from Ven. I was at 37.5, which is the dosage recommended you be at when you quit. This is according to my Dr. It has been a rough ride no doubt. But I am optimistic that I will persevere. Some ppl just quit and go back on it. Try getting plenty of exercise and eat properly. Been told to cut back on coffee and sweets. Hang in there. You will get it. I even started some CBT oil. Suppose to help with the zaps.   
    • Posted

Hi John, well done you are doing so well smile Great i will try the CBD oil i appreciate that. I will start today with the withdrawal sad Hope it goes ok. thanks xx 

• Posted

Just like John059, I am on week 9.  I am no physician, so take my advice for what it is....but everyone responds differently.   I was put on 300mg and was eventually tapered down to 37.5mg XR.   It was a rough ride, but once I hit the 37.5 mark, I have had to take it much slower.   I am actually counting pellets out of each capsule.   I am slowly tapering down from 37.5.   I am hopeful that this will be my final taper as I am down to 6 mg (6 pellets).   I will say that I can feel even the slightest decrease.   It is the norepinethrine in the capsules that seem to effect me the most.  My PMD put me on 10mg prozac to help with the withdrawls.  More than that....exercise is the best recommendation. 

The best advice I got was from a nurse to slowly taper from the 37.5.  She said it was silly, but she knows people that count pellets out.  I am now one of those people.  But hopefully not for much longer.   Good luck!  smile

• Posted

That's a great idea!! I am 100% going to do that, thank you. it's just better to do it that way i would imagine. My tablets don't have pellets in they are just solid tablets like a paracetamol, but i just checked a min ago and it can be crushed, so i am going to crush each one into powder then remove aprox 10% of the powder and consume the remaining 90% and continue for 7 days - then remove 20% and consume 80% for 7 days then remove 30% - and so on until I'm down to a grain of dust smile I think its a much better system as this way the withdrawal will be so much easier. Thank you for help xx

• Posted

I have gone down from 75mg to 37.5mg slow release capsules by removing a tablet at a time from the capsule with my Drs knowledge,I plan in the spring to do the same with the 37.5 capsule,the slower the better in my opinion.
  • Posted

BEWARE

Anyone thinking about taking Venlafaxine or taking it or coming off of this drug

THIS DRUG IS LETHAL AND SHOULD BE BANNED or at the very least there should be a warning from the doctor BEFORE it is given to patients.

It is an absolute nightmare to deal with being on this especially long term due to all the side effects and coming off it is even worse.

Anyone considering 'counting pellets' or crushing/cutting up tablets DO NOT DO THIS. 37.5mg is the lowest they make and if you mess around with any of the above you are screwing with the 'slow release' part of it. This drug is bad enough without making yourselves worse.

I asked the doctor about prozac to help coming of it but i was told that idea is flawed and prozac has similar withdrawal issues and it has a half life of around 5 days so in your system even longer

People are saying exercise, yet how are they doing this when the constant excessive body sweating doesn't let up and the huge feelings are being lethargic and extremely tired and yet not able to sleep for much than an hour at a time

Also eat healthy - great, if you've got the energy and 'get up and go' to make and cook all the correct foods and get the shopping done too...!!!

Docs told me i'd be ok in 2-3 weeks after stopping yet i'm still waiting for any improvements and on top of that all these other things like extreme anger, no patience for anything, brain zapping, dizziness and loads more

I'm sure i left loads out due to my brain being all over the place and do you know how hard it is to write this without 90% swearing and anger at the medical profession for this crap?

Like i've read online - coming of this rubbish is actually as bad if not worse than coming of class A street drugs and yet they seem to get all the help in the world like residential care to be kept an eye on and substitutes like methadone etc to help them.

Absolutely disgusting.

So beware of this awful Venlafaxine and make sure your doctors know what they are talking about - genuinelyand not just 'oh you're be fine' rubbish, because they are wrong otherwise.

You know who you are cowley denmark etc

• Posted

Hey Dave. I hear ya. I’ve been off this drug, 37.5 for 7 weeks now. Just started my 8th week today. Must say I agree with you on all the side effects. A real treat it is to get off these pills. I only had been on them for 1 yr and wow do I regret it. The highest dise I was on was 112mg’s and that was for 4 months. Some of the side effects are subsiding but others are hanging on for longer. The zaps, as well as the flu like symptoms are the worst. I have started using CBD oil and it seems to help. I will never ever take this crap again. Enjoy your day. Or try to at least

• Posted

Hi John

Thanks for replying, would you say much of the side effects are gone yet, as my doctor told me that 2-3 weeks and I'll be fine.... Feel like ripping his head off....

How about the sweating? I'm sick of it, had it all the time on this drug and desperate for it to stop, does that linger or go soon?

What is that CBT Oil? How exactly does it help and what parts does it alleviate?

Got some pregabalin (Lyrics) from before so wondering if may help?

Thanks

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave. Just woke up from a terrible sleep. Side effects are about the same for me. Insomnia, tingling hands again, minor zaps upset stomach.  Sure am sick of it. My Dr initially told me 2-4 weeks for side effects to go away but I know now that BS. Now I was told its possibly 6-8 weeks. I dont get the sweats!!!!  Yeehaw!!!!  But we’re all differently wired. Just want it to go away. CBD oil helps with the zaps. Well gotta get on with my day. Gonna try going for a walk followed by a bike ride. Enjoy your day.  

• Posted

I think you are right! But it's the only medication that has helped me stay around and actually worked to stop the pain I was feeling. .. The side effect aren't good though. I agree

• Posted

I agree it's a difficult drug to come off but it saved my life I wouldn't be here without venlafaxine,I have got down to 37.5 from 75 and I did take one tablet out if the capsule every couple of months,you can do that and it's a good slow way if doing it I will do the same with the 37.5 when I feel ready,my Dr knows I am doing this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.