Hi, Is it possible to do some exercise after the side-effect all gone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it possible to do some exercise after the side-effect all gone or is it do some exercise if the side-effect still on?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan, 

From what I am aware there are no issues with excercising when taking Citalopram and basically I think it is just a case of excercising as soon as you feel up to it really. I went on the rowing machine at home a few days after starting them and I decided to give it a rest for a couple of weeks as it just didn't feel good dur to the sickness feeling I was getting but this did ease and after a few weeks I started to work out at the gym again and carry on a normal life. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Does the side-effect makes you uncomfortable ?

• Posted

It all depends on the indivdual mate as to what side effects you will feel. It can be anything from sickness to feeling a bit light headed, dizzy and spaced out but this is just while the "loading stage" happens and your body adjusts to it all. 

I tried Citalopram and in the end I came off them and opted for CBT as for me the tablets didn't help but when I first started them I got all of the above and at first it was a little uncomfortable but the key the for me was just realising that the side effects were perfectly normal and weren't hurting me what so ever and that nothing bad would come of them. They do settle themselves down. 

The key is to try and get on with things as normal as possible and if you like to excercise then continue doing so and try and live as normal life as possible within reason. If you do get any side effects then adjust your routine where you need to until they pass. 

A good few people are worried to do anything strenuous as they have read the side effects and see things such as increased blood pressure and pulse. These can be side effect of the medication and should you have these then obviously adjust what you do until they subside, if you feel that things aren't improving then go back and see your doctor. But don't put your life on hold fearing the worse mate because things will improve and you will be able to get on like normal. 

• Posted

I run most nights now.....but when the anxiety crept in I wasn't able to work out so much. After about week 3 of 20mg I was able to get back it to the swing of things. I was still getting a few side effects back then but just the thought of wanting to excercise was a massive achievement.....I don't know what I'd do without exercising, it's a big part of my life. I used to do it because I liked to keep in shape, it's funny because now I suffer from a mental health issue it helps me think straight, it really worked for me and to be honest I'd rather have a healthy mind than worrying about what I look like - that's just an added bonus now....It really, really, really has helped my recovery, definitely recommend it to everyone! 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.