Hi, iv just started on amitriptyline given to me in hosp...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, iv just started on amitriptyline given to me in hospital to help with pain. i didnt want to take them but i finaly agreed on a low dose, he started me on 10mg but over 6 days hed increased the dosage 3 times. Im reluctant to take them now as i wasnt consulted about increasing the dosage, i feel he presured me into them & was very crafty in uping the dose so quickly. I have mild asthma & since taking the tablets im having very bad trouble breathing going from using my inhaler a few times a week to about 8 times a day, i have palputations & although i only take a tablet at night i feel very tired & drowsy the following day. Im going to try reduce the dosage a bit & if i still feel the same im going to stop taking them, after all if you read the side effects on the packaging they could make you feel a lot worse than you did before you took them.

[i:7f3e0660dd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7f3e0660dd]

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I was prescribed Ami in 1996 for anxiety and it works by boosting serotonin levels in the brain which improves mood and allows you to see your problems in perspective and not exagerate them. It does take about a month to kick in fully though. I still take one 25mg tablet a day as a maintenance dose and although I do have periods when the anxiety breaks through it has made a positive difference to my life. But make sure you don't economise on your sleep as the extra sleepiness that Ami causes will have you feeling dog tired.
  • Posted

Hey,

I've been taking amitriptyline for about 4 years (3 years continuously) and it has been a positive part of my life. I tried paroxetine, citalpram and efexor as a teenager and thes emade my anxiety / depression WORSE. As soon as a week after I started taking amitriptyline I felt so much better about my life. I can think clearly and I can always get to sleep. If I get low now, it feels normal, not all heavy like wen i was depressed. I think there were a few side effects when i started (tired, dry mouth, heartburn) but they soon cleared up.

Good luck with it. And i hope it helps you as much as it's helped me. :-)

• Posted

Hi I had Cronic Asthma for 4 years i was taking Symbicort morning and night ventilian about 5 times a day..I was also taking Amitriptyline (Endep10 mlg)  I read on the nett not to take Endep 10 with asthma as it stops the asthma treatment from working..So i asked my doctor he said oh its ok to take it..One day my chemist who was filling my scripts said this is unusual for these 2 prescriptions Symbicort and endep 10, she said as long as you realise emdep 10 can stop your Asthma treatment from working...I deceided to ignore what she says cause everybody trust their doctor who said it was fine to take it. Just by Chance another doctor took me off endep 10 for other reasons..Now 2 weeks later my Asthma is 90 percent better..Thanks for the misery to the doctor who told me Endep 10 is ok to take with Asthma.. My Advice Ask your chemist they know more about drugs than Doctors.
  • Posted

Hi I had Cronic Asthma for 4 years i was taking Symbicort morning and night ventilian about 5 times a day..I was also taking Amitriptyline (Endep10 mlg)  I read on the nett not to take Endep 10 with asthma as it stops the asthma treatment from working..So i asked my doctor he said oh its ok to take it..One day my chemist who was filling my scripts said this is unusual for these 2 prescriptions Symbicort and endep 10, she said as long as you realise emdep 10 can stop your Asthma treatment from working...I deceided to ignore what she says cause everybody trust their doctor who said it was fine to take it. Just by Chance another doctor took me off endep 10 for other reasons..Now 2 weeks later my Asthma is 90 percent better..Thanks for the misery to the doctor who told me Endep 10 is ok to take with Asthma.. My Advice Ask your chemist they know more about drugs than Doctors.
  • Posted

I am surprized to hear that amitriptyline is giving for pain like it is. Absolutely go off them  since you are having different problems being on the med. That's crazy. 

• Posted

I am following your thread as I only started this last week and the jittery feeling the next day is beyond belief. It's like I've had 3 coffees and uppers. I feel almost like I shouldn't be driving. Hoping to hear if others have had this and how long it lasts. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi i'v had problems all my life, due to abuse as a child, and a mental gene in the family, I was put on amatriptaine 24 years ago, helping me to sleep, then the dreaded Diazepam, over 20 years later at 67 years old!they've started me on a medication reduction program!withdrawal side effects!!!! I take amatriptaine for a week at a time to give myself a break.! Can't function can't get out of bed! When off them, pain all over the body , rubbish sleep, coughing, clearing throat! So I don't know the answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.