Hi, ive been diagnosed with PA since 1998 at the age of ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, ive been diagnosed with PA since 1998 at the age of 17.Since then i have also been diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism and iron deficiency.I am always hearing about people with PA but most are middle aged.I would like to know if there are other young people out there with this condition and to hear their story.

[i:ff429a9d77]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ff429a9d77]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My daughter was diagnosed with PA at the age of 26, but this was after years of visits to doctors and hospital admissions. As I have the condidtion, I recognised the symptoms and virtually begged the doctor to test her for PA. The doctors eventually did the test and it proved positive.

That was 3 years ago, and neither of us can go the full 12 weeks without an injection. We generally have an injection every 8 weeks.

[i:7feaf13fe0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7feaf13fe0]

• Posted

Hiya. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid and severe anaemia at 11 years old and have been on treatment for them ever since, however whenever my iron levels stabilised i was taken off of ferrous fumerate and my levels plummeted. I have been tested for every autoimmune disease under the sun, and had two stomach biopsies for coeliac disease and it's only today, at 20 years old that a nice consultant has confirmed I have PA. I'm annoyed that you have to virtually tell the doctors what's going on, but I'm so relieved I finally know. I start my injections in the next week or so and they reckon I can finally come of the iron tablets. I never hear from anyone my age with these kind of problems either, and all the doctors said I was a medical mystery to have these at 11 years old but, hey, that's life. It's kind of nice to know I'm not alone. One thing I hope you can answer....do the injections hurt? I'm used to blood tests so I'm not really that worried but I know iron injections sting. Thanks in advance,

H

xxx

[i:f7367f83c0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f7367f83c0]

• Posted

Im 23 now, but was diagnosed with PA and Hypothyroidism over a year ago. Severe anaemia was picked up at 18 when I went to give blood and was told that they were surprised I was still standing my levels were so low! After months of being on and off Iron pills, no one picked it up. I felt so rough when I was 20 that I went to see the Dr and asked for a thyroid test, which even though I had many symptoms and it was in my family he refused to give me as I was too young! For a year I went to the Drs for a multitude of issues and even tried acupunture (which was quite good, but expensive). It was only when I saw a nurse that the Hypothyroidism was picked up, and on having a second blood test the pernicious anaemia became evident. I now have b12 injections every month and am on 150mcg levothyroxine, with Iron pills aswell. So Although you are young to have been diagnosed, count it as a blessing it was taken seriously right away, I was exstatic when I actually got diagnosed, felt like I had won a huge battle with the Drs just to get the test. Maybe if they look at some of the posts on here they will start to understand that PA is not limited to old ladies eh?!

[i:94553b284b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:94553b284b]

• Posted

[quote:61206598ac=\"H.\"]Hiya. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid and severe anaemia at 11 years old and have been on treatment for them ever since, however whenever my iron levels stabilised i was taken off of ferrous fumerate and my levels plummeted. I have been tested for every autoimmune disease under the sun, and had two stomach biopsies for coeliac disease and it's only today, at 20 years old that a nice consultant has confirmed I have PA. I'm annoyed that you have to virtually tell the doctors what's going on, but I'm so relieved I finally know. I start my injections in the next week or so and they reckon I can finally come of the iron tablets. I never hear from anyone my age with these kind of problems either, and all the doctors said I was a medical mystery to have these at 11 years old but, hey, that's life. It's kind of nice to know I'm not alone. One thing I hope you can answer....do the injections hurt? I'm used to blood tests so I'm not really that worried but I know iron injections sting. Thanks in advance,

H

xxx

[i:61206598ac]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:61206598ac][/quote:61206598ac][color=red:61206598ac][/color:61206598ac]

• Posted

smile hi i was diognoised 3 years ago at the age of 27 i have an ijection every 4 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.