hi. just starting mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.

I sufferer from anxiety and my doctor has put me on mirtazapine 15mg per day.

What side effects am I to expect?

Hickson

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been on mirtazapine 15mg now for 2 weeks, also prescribed for anxiety. I was told to take mine at night because it contains a sedative.For the 1st week it certainly made me sleep to the point of not wanting to get up the next day, when I did finally surface it was about dinner time before I could function, just felt I had no energy to do anything. It still makes me sleep well, but Im not so groggy in the morning. Also it made me very hungry, especially in the evening, that also seems to be less now.

As for the anxiety, its still there but not as bad, I have a social phobia and it has helped with that, I also take propanolol ( a beta-blocker).

When I had a tipple over xmas I did notice that I got very tired after it,so could only manage a couple. Xmas lightwieght was my nickname.

Hope this has helped you, best of luck with your medication and if you are feeling a bit apprehensive about taking it, like me, I would say give it a go at least you get a good nights sleep.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your posts.

Sorry to hear that you have anxiety as well...its a terrible thing.

I took one last night, and I felt awful this morning, couldnt get up at all!

I'm not sure whether to take it again. I also take beta blockers for my chest pain.

Wishing you all the luck in the world and hope that you get better soon..

Hicksonx

• Posted

:roll:

Hi There

I've been on Mirtazapine (15mg) for 15 days not for anxiety but for depression. It's been a mixed response so far; my sleeplessness has not improved I find it very difficult to get to sleep but then achieve seven hours plus with some waking times. My dreams have become quite vivid.

I also suffer from severe migraine with 20 plus attacks per month. This has now dropped but, since started taking Mirtazapine I have had two exceptionally bad attacks....violent sickness etc.

Not sure it's the drug for me but am willing to psersevere for a few more weeks. This morning I cleaned and re-decoratdthe Utility room ... this is something I couldn't have done a few weeks back.

Like most people I am taking the medication in the evening, for myself at approximately 8 o'clock.

Can I suggest you also look on some of the American experience sites as well (Remerol). It does appear there is a very mixed-response to this drug.

My daughter, who is a Doctor, prescribes this drug quite a bit, she is confident in its general lack of side-effects and is thus her preferred anti-depressant at present .... especially for the elderly.

Regards,

Stiofain

• Posted

I have been on Mirtazipine for approx 3 weeks now, it makes me feel very tired next day which I can cope with but the oddest side effects are the vivid dreams I have every couple of days. When I wake up I have to convinve my self they arent real. So far Ive been bitten in the neck by a baby crocodile, stabbed by a blue statue and last night pushed in the back on the street so hard it lifted me off my settee.
  • Posted

I'm also interested in how these drugs like mirtazapine affect the body in the long term. We all want to feel well again but now I'm trapped taking three different meds for depression. How long? What long term effects on mind and body?
  • Posted

Hi Hickson,

Was woundering if you had continued with medication and if so how you are doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.