hi kimberley

Posted , 2 users are following.

:D hi there

just read your post gosh you were so young having that surgery! i,ve often wondered if having suffered with prolapse discs that you would be more prone to it happening again, well you,ve sort of answered my question, are you on the waiting list yet for surgery? i know it seems forever waiting just to be out of pain, it still baffles me how we could be left so long in sometimes excrusiating pain (animals are not!) take care gail

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi gail,

yeah i'm waiting for my pre-0p consultation. i'm waiting longer this time for the surgery, think that because i was so badly haunched over the last time they had rushed me through the list for surgery. it's so frustrating waiting, feel like nothings getting done!!!!

what's your story? have u b'n waiting long? are you having the same surgery?

kimberley smile

• Posted

hi there mine is an awfully long story going back to oct 2005 when i prolapsed my cervical discs, i, ll keep it short as poss!. had the usual pain meds etc then xray jan 2006, showed disc space and osteophytes, then physio, and put on the waiting list to see an ortho doc. had that appoitment july 2006, he said needed mri so another wait for that, but in mean time had carpel tunnel test (negative) had the mri feb 2007 that showed significant prolapse c5-6 disc with cord compression and displacement, and another prolapse at c6-7. the ortho doc said he was not able to do surgery as i needed neuro surgeon for it, ok another wait til july 2007 and the ns said yeh i needed urgent surgery so on another list and here i am still here waiting and hoping as been promised to be in just before xmas.i,ve been on sick leave from work since feb this year due to the pain(as well you know a nightmare)the waiting lists are an absolute nightmare, but i,ve also had a lot of false promises from the hospital with regard to my admission dates so am so annoyed, and now just want it done and be able to get on with a pain free life i hope.hope your not having to wait to long. gail
  • Posted

3 years? it makes you wonder where all are taxes are going to. i hope you do get ur surgery before chirstmas fingers croossed for u.

wish there was some thing i could do to speed things up 4 me! how would i begin though? have any advice? have you complained or seeked any advice on how long it's taken for your surgery? do u no anyone that has? an did it help them?

lol, asking loads of questions!

kimberley : )

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

I agree with you it is extremely frustrating having to wait but it's out of our hands there's nothing we can do but wait and wait and wait. :evil:

I'm 40 and I had a Discectomy (L5/S1) in Jan this year after being taken into Hospital on New Years Eve, this was unsuccessful, I then had 2 Sacral Epidural Inj into bottom of my spine and a Nerve Root Block done on 4th May this year, been back and forwards to Hospital I've seen my Consultant 9 times this year, finally on 9th October said I need another Op a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. But unfortunately the waiting list is 4-5 months wait (shock horror).

I haven't been to work at all this year I'm doped up on Tramadol, Amytriptylin, Indometacin, Fluoxetine and Morphine Patches. I've sent my Consultants Secretary about 10 emails in the last couple of days due to the pain wondering if there maybe a cancellation and she can't even be bothered to reply (how bloody annoying). I'm absolutely fed up of my life at the minute I can't wait until this years over and I hope that 2008 will be a better year for me.

I only wish that the people dealing with us had suffered with Back/Neck pain then I'm sure the waiting lists would be much shorter. So much for being seen and dealt with in a 13 week period (what a joke).

Hope that your coping ok keep your chin up.

Bye for now.

Angela

• Posted

angela,

hi, and thanks for your comment. i was wondering what exaclly a nerve root block is and why i hadn't been told about it. does this last? or is it a temporary soloution for pain? i've had a disc removed an now waiting (in what seems like forever) to have another removed. i've been told that i'll most definately have arthritis in the future and my back as weak as it is will be weaker after my next surgery. i've been told i'll have great difficulty in future when carrying children as my back simply wont be able to carry the weight, so u'd think they'd b offering me alternatives other than surgery. unless that really is my only option. i'd like to explore other alternatives rather than have surgery, but haven't been told whats out there. so any more info on the nerve root block would be great.

thankskimberey smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.