Hi my daughter has just been diagnosed with HS how can I help ease her pain

Posted , 15 users are following.

Any thing I can do to ease her pain apart from the creams and the lotions

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I use hot packs and ibuprofen. I fill up a sock with rice and tie a knot in end, heat it in microwave and put on a few times a day. Helps a little.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, 

Bringing the active areas to a head so that they start to drain is your best start. Lots of bathing/showering in hot water, a turmeric poltice always helps me too. It can be insufferable, as you probably know. I think the only thing worse to me than me going through the pain would be watching someone I love in this amount of pain, so I feel for you too. Are you in  the UK? If so, Germoline has a bit of anaesthetic in, so I've found that much more soothing than Savlon. 

Anyway, sending you both all the best. I'm sure others will be along with more advice for you. 

Rachel x

• Posted

Thank you for the advice yes we are in the UK wot makes it worse for me is my daughter has downs syndrome so she finds it hard to tell me how much pain she is in so I will take all the advice I can to try and help her be as comfortable as possible. Regards Tracy
    • Posted

Tesco do a pack of really good sterile adhesive dressings in a green box, once you've managed to start the draining, a blob of Germoline and one of these does wanders. Use them with the turmeric poltice too, the padded dressing stops the skin on skin rubbing which is always really painful - I have 3 on my right boob at the moment which were murder until I managed to get to the shop to buy the dressings. They're £1.05 for 5, a complete bargain compared to Boots ones which are £4 odd for the same thing. Hope she feels better soon. 

• Posted

Hi there

I have started to use tea tree gel recently and i have found that it is helping. You just need to be consistent. Tea tree has natural healing in it. It's worth a try. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello

One thing i can suggest you strongly is never let your daughter have any food made of dairy products. I have personally experienced this and avoiding dairy products helped me a lot. I never believed this unless i started finding a difference.

• Posted

So sorry for you and your poor daughter. I have found that a good quality tumeric supplement has nearly cleared my issues. If you decide to try this, please buy a supplement with added black pepper. The pepper helps the body absorb the tumeric. I've also heard a lot about removing night shade vegetables from your diet. I have yet to try this baceuse the tumeric supplements have worked so well for me. I wish you luck in comforting your daughter. What a good Mom! Cheers!

• Posted

Thanks for your advice it's much appreciated. Regards Tracy

• Posted

Each of us will find a differnt trigger, for some it is a response to food e.g nighshades (foods from the nighshade family e.g tomatoes, potatoes, peppers etc and eliminating these from the diet can help immensly, for others it is hormonal getting worse just prior to their (some versions of the pill can help). For others the inflamation is made worse by carbs and dairy and reducing/ emilinating these can help.    others find that supllements help 

​If you can read widely and try and find what is behind your daughters H.S. If found early you may be able to reduce it or push it into remission

​I  use curcumin (active ingredient in Tummeric) with black pepper included for pain. It is a potent anti inflamatory and can help with the pain. I also use heat packs. Good luck  !

• Posted

Hi Tracy, I dont think you can ease the pain, I have a daughter that has been suffering for 20 yrs, all you can do  is be understanding, it is very hard that we cannot help, and going by most patients, they dont like to talk about it, I dont bring the subject up anymore, I wait for her to instigate a conversation about it, which isn't very often.  Creams and lotions dont really help much, has she been to a consultant (I know it is hard to find one that deals with this) but getting help early is important, my daughter lived with it for almost 10 yrs before she opened up and much damage was already done, even then, we found it hard to find help from doctors, we went to several, including dermatology , and they didn't know much about it, things have improved now thank god and it is recognised more,  I have learned that if she doesn't want to do something, it is because she is in pain and I dont push her, she is now taking Roacatan (excuse spelling on that) it was the last resort, we were reluctant for many years because of the side effects. I hope you find help soon.

• Posted

Hello Tracy, I am so so sorry to hear about your daughter's physical pain and your emotional pain. HS is hars on everyone! You will get a lot of advice here and will find different things work for different people. I must stress to never try and pop it on your own! That could cause or spread any infection.

For me, what I do is tend to take long soaks in the tubs ( i bought a wood bath tray to hold books and a drink so it's not so boring) and I am trying zinc now and I don't really recommend this t someone so young, but my Dr, had me on pain pills..strong ones. Rest is super important also.

Several things you may want to try are an elimination diet, removing nightshades (tomatoes, tomatos sauces etc. from her diet- trying the paleo diet-and get her tested to see if she has a allergy for gluten (bloodwork).Food affects many people with this condition. When ill I have heard many people use Tumeric, Zinc and tree oil also. If affecting certain parts and she doesn't want to always take a bath 50 times a day you can use a sitz bath. ANtibiotics rarely work on pwople but this disease is so nuts and so many things help other people it could be worth a try.

None, of these has really helped me honestly. If I sweat too much or stress that's when I usually get bad ones bit they take a day or two to rear their ugly heads. Trial and error are going to be your best friend and though I am in no way a doctor and can just suggest these things.

I really hope you caught it early enough to find her triggers and ways to slow it down. I have heard stories of people who have went into remission for years smile

Wishing you and your family all the best! I am sorry this is so lengthy but I wanted to get in as much as possible. Also have her checked or be on the look out for autoimmune disease and Chron's as these tend to go hand in hand for many. I was just dx'ed with Sjogren's and other autoimmumes and they say they can all be related.

WIshing you both a pain free day!

• Posted

also wash with hibiclense on the abscesses..sorry forgot that one!
    • Posted

Thank you for your input it's much appreciated I am just wanting to try and make my daughter as comfortable as possible again thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.