Hi my doctor has just diagnosed me with vitiligo. I noti...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi my doctor has just diagnosed me with vitiligo. I noticed last year, it was my cousins wedding and i was bridesmaid, I thought i would get a few sunbeds so i had a bit of colour. As i started to turn colour these white patches started to appear on the backs of my hands and under my arms at the top. It didnt bother me at first i tried not to worry and i thought it would go away. As my tan wore off it didnt look as bad but the patches didnt go away compleatly. Two weeks ago i decided to go to the doctors as it had started to spread. I now have patches starting to develop on my right and left side of my torso about four inches below my armpits. I am starting to worry as it is showing no signs of stopping. I know i havnt got it as bad as some people but it just gets you down. I was planning to go on holiday this summer but i am frightened about wearing a bikini as i know when i start to turn colour the whole thing is going to be far more noticeable.

Thanks for listening, i havent got anyone who understands what it is like:?

Helen

[i:b8ea0fdc04]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b8ea0fdc04]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sad Hi there

Was just sifting through some MORE sites on our problem and came across these comments and felt I would add to them. One in particular struck a chord with me from a lady called Helen.

You can problem tell from me putting our problem that I hate to even say the word and this thing has and is really effecting me. I started with patches under my arms and have just finished extensive PUVA treatment (60 treatments worth), whilst a little repigmentation has occured the hospital has just informed me that not enough has returned for them to think it worthwhile to continue it. This has basically cut me adrift again and I feel that there isn't it seems any other treatment or help out there. I have noticed some new patches appearing and really do feel depressed about it all.

I don't think anyone can understand the level it can affect your mind unless there have it themselves and either go between saying \"Oh, poor you\", to \" Well, at least it isn't on your face\" - neither which help you at all! What if it does spread to my face? I go from not looking at it for days at a time to anxiously looking at a blemish or shadow on myself and thinking is that whiter than anywhere else - is that going to develop.

I am at this moment trying to see if any homeopathic remodies or hynotherapy treatments will perhaps have any effect on it as at the moment I really can't just accept this condition.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with any advice or treatments out there!

Justine sad

[i:5955f8c536]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5955f8c536]

• Posted

I can sympathise with both of you. I first noticed it about 7 months ago and since then it has spread around my hips on my hands and has now started on the corners of my mouth. At the time it was diagnosed as vitiligo my hair started to fall out and I'm only 21. I'm sure it's all tied in together with the vitiligo and stress of it etc. It is a vicious circle because apparently the more stressed you are the worse it gets. It's hard not to let it play on your mind especially when relationships come into it. It's amazing how quickly life can turn upside down. I guess we just have to be grateful it isn't worse, but that's a lot easier said than done.

I look forward to hearing how your progress is going.

All the best

• Posted

that is exactly what i said and everyone said to me, at least its not on your face. it still got me depressed. in the last couple of months i had it come up around my mouth sad and ive been crying at the doctors about it this morning and now i really want to do something about it.
  • Posted

i have had it for over a year now. I first noticed on my groin area, including my penis, and it spread quite rapidly. Now it has moved to my hands but at this point, it's going to do what it's going to do. I will take precautions to keep it under control. There are people out there with burns or a death sentence over their heads....we suffer vanity...we suffer stares..it is depressing but there is not much we can do...

i have a thyroid condition and I had hoped this wouldn't occur... i am a performer and this will limit my ability to get work...but...what can i do?

All i know is i am responsible for making me happy...at least Vitiligo won't conquer that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.