Hi, my name is Fola and I have been diagnosed with **Osteopenia.

Posted , 5 users are following.

** However, can only seem to get information on osteoporosis. Any info will help. I am aware that this condition is a thinning of the bones, however, to a lesser degree than in osteoporosis and therefore, would like additional information on specifics areas such as:

1. How to identify a break when it might occur in the body, i.e bruises,
  2. What areas of the body (i.e. i hurt a lot in my back, side of trunk )
  3. Diet-Best foods to eat (Calcium)
  4. What types of weight bearing exercise
  5. Risky activities to avoid
  6. Should i be taking supplements or medication.

Any advice would help

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Osteopenia does not need medication. You can manage it with diet and exercise and some supplements.

In your blood tests you can check your calcium and vitamin D levels as well as magnesium and take as needed in supplements.

Vitamin K2 is good to have as it aims the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries.

Weight bearing exercise is important too like walking and some light weights.

Have a really good diet of fruit and vegetables and things like leafy greens, yoghurt, prunes, avocados and cucumber especially the skin.

Read all the different discussions on here and do some research of your own as well.

There are some other good people on here too like Anhaga who will have more information for you.

All the best.

• Posted

I am not wanting to scare you but I want to tell you what happened to me. I was told I had osteopenia in April, 2018. Then I had 5 fractured vertabra (Just from bending over) and a fractured rib (I have no idea how I broke it except maybe from coughing) 3 months before the bone density test I fell and broke my ankle in 3 places and a rib. I no longer trust bone density tests and refuse to have one done (I live in the US so I have to pay for them). What's the point. I will say that I was on prednisone which I'm sure was the culprits even though I took calcium and vitamins D. I've recently added magnesium as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.