hi new here

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I have suffered from depression and anxiety for over 20 years and recently had to ask for help again so I go to the mental health team spend over an hour explaining everything feeling bad about myself and was then told that everything in the past is irrelevant and that my medication was irrelevant I'm feeling very upset by this point and worthless so I get angry and leave. Today I had a copy of the letter they sent to my doctor it said that I am not depressed nor do I suffer with anxiety and that in was hostile. As you can imagine I feel everything I've ever done is worthless and can't see any point in going on I feel empty and a fraud I self harm on a daily basis, what is the point of going when no believes me ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

OMG thats disgusting...call themselves a mental health team,,,can you go and see another mental health team anywhere.......is your doctor supporting you in any way...he should be understanding can you go and have a chat to him.....sending you kind thoughts...please go and see your doctor or another one as soon as possible...you are so not worthless.....please try someone else......
  • Posted

Hi viv,

it sounds like you've an awful experience.

i can't believe they wrote to your gp saying you weren't depressed, why would you bother to go and see them if you weren't.

you'll be believed here don't worry.

you're not a fraud you've just been let down by the people supposed to help you.

sometimes it's a battle to be heard, but I'd urge you to revisit your GP, tell them you are struggling and that you are being let down by the nhs service. Ask them where you can go from here, and how quickly you can get help.

ask to see a different gp, if the other one is unhelpful.

you'll get there. Let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Helen is right! why on earth would you go and see them if you weren't depressed!??! Go back to the GP and get referred to something that will work for you and people who will take your concerns seriously! xxx
  • Posted

That's very sad to har Viv. I'm sorry you have been going through this. it must be isolating without the support. Have you thought of going through another channel regarding support?
  • Posted

Thank you everyone you are all so kind I have drs appointment in 3 weeks. No earlier appointment available so I just have to hold on. This experience has been a huge shock as it was my doctor who sent me there in the first place I really don't know what will happen next I'm just going second by second. Xx
  • Posted

Oh dear, that's not very helpful.

I can understand you got upset and maybe even unpleasant - been through that at work. The frustration of not being heard and understood sometimes takes the better of us.

I will echo what others say - go and see another GP. Don't give up in seeking help. Someone will listen!

• Posted

I knew I was suffereing from depression but I would mask it. I live in USA so here is what i experienced with my GP in April of 2001. He asked me like 10 questions, I answered honestly and then up out of the blue he asked if i thought I was depressed. I answered yes I did and I think most of the thinking people in the world are depressed now seeing Dubya Bush sits in the Oval office. He then agreed with me. Next, he told me I was the new norm but there is no med for norm. but I went back on prozac. I have battled depression since 1965 after putting my life on the line while in the US military then was told what we had just done " Never existed ." Finally, I am facing that real issue, it did happen and being told it meant zero, meant Imeant zero for all those years. Help is there, but you need to right person for the battle you  are in.
  • Posted

Wow....that's terrible.  And it's even more terrible that you have all that time to wait before you can see your doctor again.......feeling as you do, you should be able to see him immediately.

Why were you given a copy of the letter and who gave it to you?  It seems strange that you would be given the letter without any support.

You are NOT a fraud and you should not have been treated as you have, so pick yourself up and stop harming yourself, just think what idiots they are and seek help elsewhere.

I will be waiting to hear how you go on.

Take care,

Pat.

• Posted

You need to ring their crisis number if you aren't getting anywhere. That's disgusting. I have had to push and push to get an appointment with mental health. Also if you're desperate go to your local A and E they have special mental health nurses. Don't give up. Jump and scream til someone helps you
  • Posted

dear viv, I agree you were treated very, very badly...you have every reason to lodge a formal complaint.. and you should....

The mental health team are there...TO LISTEN TO, AND HELP YOU....I am surprised at their attitude ( bad have always had positive help. )....never give in or...give up...ask to be referred again..!! I sincerely hope things improve,,,lots of hugs and well wishes tO you. Xx Deirdre xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.