Hi, New here. Brief history and questions

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had Meniere's disease for 6 months and it has been very difficult to find knowledgeable people to help me through this confounding disease. After 4 months I finally found an informed ENT Neurologist who diagnosed the disease and has prescribed a low salt diet, diuretics, and now betahistine. The low salt diet does seem to help, but the diuretics made me worse so I discontinued them. I have tried betahistine at 3 different dosages (16mg 3xday; 8mg 3xday; 16mg 2xday) and they all made me feel worse. The main side effect being increased dizziness. Most all the literature I've read about betahistine is that it doesn't have any side effects so I was very disappointed. I have constant ear pressure and tinnitus in both ears, reduced low frequency hearing in my right ear, and dizziness and nausea. These symptoms never stop but vary in intensity. I do not have vertigo attacks so perhaps I have a slightly different version of the disease, but my doctor says my audio-graphs match up to how Meniere’s presents itself. Currently I am just on the low salt diet along with no alcohol or coffee. Some days I feel like I can deal with it but lately the ear pressure has increased and is almost unbearable at times. My doctor prescribed Valium 2mg to reduce anxiety.

This entire condition started 2 weeks after my first Pfizer vaccine shot. I had no idea at the time what was happening to me. I thought perhaps it was a sinus infection, but even after antibiotics it kept on going until it settled in my ears and then after numerous tests ranging from MRIs to allergy tests to multiple blood tests (all coming up negative), I got the diagnosis from the 4th ENT doctor I visited. It’s been an exasperating experience! I still have no idea if the vaccine had anything to do with it but now it seems to be a possible factor as it was only 2 weeks before the symptoms set in. As a senior I am now eligible for the booster shot but I am kind of worried about it. I do not want to get worse.

Questions:

Is there anything that helps with the ear pressure?

Does anyone else have my Meniere’s symptoms (everything but vertigo attacks and vomiting)?

Anyone get this just after the Pfizer vaccine?

How do you keep this from getting worse?

Valium vs Ativan?

This is the first forum I have found (thank goodness it is here).

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.