Hi. Newbie considering asking GP for Orlistat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I've been reading these boards for a while and finally I've decided to bite the bullet and ask my GP if I can have them. I'm only 5 foot but weigh just over 12 stone and it's really starting to get me down. I desperately need some help to shift this lard!!! Fingers crossed I'll get them. Here's hoping...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

Welcome! I did the same before I started taking them because I was really concerned about the side effects. I've been taking Orlistat since February now, and honestly after a while there are next to no side effects so don't worry about that! The first few weeks I think hits different people in different ways. I had quite a few 'rushed' incidents but after a few weeks it's like clockwork so you can prepare. 

As for the benefits, I feel like what they really do is keep your weight steady when you slip up. So all your efforts at the gym and with calorie control actually have a chance to shine through. When I have a takeaway for example, I find I stay the same weight instead of gaining 5lbs straight away. 

Beware that the weightloss is slow depending on the person. I have been losing about 1lb per week and staying the same for a couple weeks then start losing again. Overall, I'm 30lbs down though which I am more than happy with.

Kind of a long answer haha but I'm at work and procrastinating so I thought I'd send a wee welcome smile 

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your welcome. Well done on your weight loss. I got my Orlistat tablets today smile Going to start them tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.