Hi, Please help, I faint with ibs symptoms and its scary

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am female and have had ibs since I was 15-16 years old, I am now 35. I get diarrea and bloating mainly but sometimes can get constipation. If I lift something too heavy I feel like I have \"strained\" my stomach and the pain starts. Sometimes I think it is related to food. I have fainted every now and then, sometimes 8-10 months apart since the age of 15. About a month ago I woke in the night with severe pain and usual pattern, I get to the loo but have trouble passing anything. I start to sweat loads, go hot and cold, vision starts to go and next thing I come round on the floor. I get up shaky and cold needing to go to the loo. Last time I hit my head on the sink which scared me but I was lucky that my husband was home at the time. Last night I woke (1.30am) with severe pain, went to the loo, managed to pass something, pain started, hadn't woke my husband so knew i had to get to the bedroom to get help. He is not sure if I fainted. I only remember needing to get to the bedroom and next thing being aware that my head was on the doorstep and my husband asking what I needed, as in medicine/help. I have medicine called Viadil Forte that I use (It relaxes stomach) but I am not getting the warning that I used to so am not always able to use it before I pass out. Some doctors say oh its ibs, another has said no definetely not and yet another says it is the pain that causes me to faint not ibs. Does anyone else pass out with ibs? Please help me, it gets me down so much.

3 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had the exact symptoms for years and no doctor can diagnose it. Best to not go to loo when you feel this level of pain and feel you going to loose conscious, turn on your left side and let the loss of consciousness come and go. That way you won’t fall and hurt yourself
  • Posted

I had this exact issue and it was triggered by not drinking enough water. Also, I found someone else with same issues and was told that they are looking into ties with  vasovagal syncope. 

I have been going to an acupuncture/chiro for 2 yrs and my occurrences are hardly a problem now! 

• Posted

Mindfulness training. This stress-reduction technique helps you focus on being in the moment and letting go of worries and distractions.
  • Posted

Hi guys I have this exact same problem but mine started for me in middle school I have even passed out in class. I am only 19 but I get this overwhelming pain with a clammy icy hot feeling covering my body, sweating, dizziness, and the fainting. I deal with this by eating excess amounts of salt, laying flat on my back, and using pain killers. I plan on trying the peppermint and researching more about IBS. Thank you all for the helpful comments.
  • Posted

I ha e this too it is called vasovagal syncope. basically fainting caused by a trigger and our GI system is causing the trigger. it's taken me 20 years to find the right doctor to tell me what it was and the only thing that I've been able to help and slow it down as I finally started taking probiotics and then after I eat certain meals that I know make me sick I take a digestive pill. so it sounds like you might have food intolerances just like I do so you should probably look into the MRT leap test and have your blood tested to see what foods are causing inflammation and the inflammation depending on how severe your intolerance is if you're eating that same food every single day it just backs up in your system that's all I've been able to do. good luck at scary I just had another one this morning so I'm definitely feeling you.

• Posted

I am a female. I was lying here this morning reading through all your posts. I got a terrible scare yesterday. I suffer from IBS and Reflux. I went running with my friend and as we were near the end of my 5k i felt a pain in my stomach and needed to go to the toilet. It got so bad i had to stop running all together. I felt sick and quite shaken. I could bearly speak with the pain and my breathing wasnt great. I eventually made it back to my car. Really dont know how i drove home - felt i was going to pass out. No disrespect put i bearly made it to the toilet. This was my worse attack ever. Ive like others woke during the night and being so weak had to lie on the floor in the bathroom. No pain killer has worked for me - i just have to wait it out which usually takes hours. My stomach is still very sore from yesterday and im still a bit shaken. To be honest i thought i was dying. I never felt an attack like this one before. On the other hand im glad there are others out there like me. ?

• Posted

Hello. Sorry you had to go through this honey. I hope we can find the best answer for you. Do you usually faint in a constipation flare up? 
  • Edited

I’ve always had stomach trouble but it’s been in the last five years I’ve started waking up in the middle of the night having to use the bathroom and I will break out in a sweat with excruciating pain and the feeling I could pass out.  Last week we went on vacation and it happened twice. Both times I had eaten BBQ for dinner (you think I would have learned). I’ve noticed putting a cold wet washcloth on the back of my neck helps and I take pepto as soon as it starts. It’s so terrible and makes me worry about what I’m eating and I really believe stress makes it worse too. It is nice to hear other people understand what it’s like to go through this. My husband doesn’t understand and I don’t blame him, if I had never felt this, I don’t know if I would understand either.
  • Posted

Hi... are still there? I will like to talk to you. We have the same symptoms.

You can email me?

• Posted

I have very similar symptoms and I am really scared I am a 28 year old female,

I am diagnosed with ibs and it's usually a mix of constipation and diarrhea.

However every 8 months or so I will get severe attacks where I feel painful cramps suddenly followed by urgency to go to the loo where I will have severe diarrhea, I will start burning up and sweating and feeling so weak I fall off the toilet and collapse on the bathroom floor where I have to take my clothes off because I'm so hot! I have no strength to stand or move even though I have diarrhea!

However on January 1st I had one of these extreme attacks, and on Jan 11th I had another one. So I am now terrified of when it's going to happen and why it's happening more frequently. I have bad anxiety and am a recovering agoraphobic so am now terrified to go out away from my toilet in case it happens.

I am going to ring my dr but I just don't understand what would cause these extreme attacks!

I had been eating very healthily and blandly since the episode on jan 1st so to get it again on the 11th is really worrying me.

• Posted

wow i am so glad i found this thread. i have been suffering from the same episodes/attacks you are all describing for over 10 years. i too am a 28 year old female. i will go a year without any issues and then start having frequent attacks for a few months, that then go away for a year, etc. i have had a colonoscopy and many tests that show nothing wrong. i am convinced i have ibs with this vasovagal syncope. i have kept food diaries in the past and eliminated certain foods but couls find no underlying link. i then thought it was horomone related because i had no issues during my pregnancy. but the fact i could go a year with no issues makes me think otherwise. it causes a lot of stress and anxiety- i am self employed and work from home for this very reason. i feel as though an anxiety or depression med would help with my symptoms but dont know what type of doctor to even go to. any ideas? has anyone had relief? thanks.

• Posted

I have suffered from whatever this is from early adolescence. Here is what I typically used to experience. It would start with stomach/intestinal cramps. The horrible cramps would come in rounds. They would last for a bit, fade and then start again. I would start to feel hot and begin to sweat a lot. I also got shaky. After a few rounds of terrible cramps I would pass a normal BM. Then there would be more rounds of cramps and diarrhea would follow. The most foul smelling, liquid stuff. I have never passed out from the pain but I have experienced my vision begining to go black. After a few rounds of diarrhea and my digestive system is completely emptied it is over. Sometimes this could take hours other times it would progress fairly quickly. I would feel very weak and tired afterwards. Anyway I have not suffered through this full cycle in almost two years now. I'm sure this won't work for everyone but it has changed my life. When an attack begins I immediately start chugging water, I will drink as much as 32 ounces of water. It takes about 20 or so minutes to work, but all of a sudden the attack will stop. Totally done and over. I hope this is helpful to somebody who is suffering from the terrible pain. It is the worst to experience these attacks while at work or out and about.

• Posted

hi guest, i remember seeing this post before, or something very similar. i wonder having looked at it again if it's the pain that's making you faint or blood pressure? i'd insist on doctor's do more digging including a heart-trace to see if that is causing it? this doesn't sound like typical IBS, unless you're very chronically constipated which COULD possibly cause these sort of problems! please see someone something doesn't ring right with this!

• Posted

I am so glad I found this discussion. My first episode was about 15 years ago.Years went by (although I've had stomach issues for along time IBS) w/o having another bad episode then about 3 years ago I started getting them again. At first it's extremely scary because you don't know what is happening (specially if you are on the road I had it happen to me once) I just had an episode 5 days ago. Although I did not completely black out, it was terrible.My last episode was bad but I have learned to stay calm, do some relaxed breathing in to the nose & deep out through the mouth. The episode I had last time I remembered to crawl instead of walking so I will not hit anything if I fall, however somehow I did fall from the toilet & hurt my foot and broke a toe. Today is the first day I feel better, but still have some nausea, hot flashes (but not sure if it's from my menopause) dizziness, gassy, no appetite & some constipation. Of course I'm worried if I am going to get another one. I have literally gotten on my knees to pray to not get another episode.

I at one point was taking mint pills that the gastro doc advised me to always take, drink mint tea and keep a good diet plus I also exercies. I do have to say STRESS is usually the #1 thing that triggers the IBS & then I will get an episode. Although right now we are under "stay at home" due to covid19 I am going to try & start treatment with a Functional Practitioner &/or Chinese Herb Medicine doctor. I have heard from some friends that it has significantly helped them. Health insurance does not cover the treatments but I need to try something because it is too scary to continue this way & get seriously hurt from blacking out.

• Posted

Hi yes I get bad pain bloating like you and I pass out it's horrible oand bloating dirie constipation all time I'm having allergy test because I think acid is causing it bad I take buscapan I sweat my body feels heavy and I pass out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.