Hi there, everyone. Ive been suffering migraine since i ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there, everyone. Ive been suffering migraine since i was 18, im now 34. i am finding with age they are getting worse. i did fracture my skull approx 5 years ago and this seems to have made my migraines worse. i suffer focal migraine. I have been prescribed pitziofen today. the doc did warn mean they can increase your appetite. I have been reading posts and it seems everyone has had weight gain. Could i ask, do the tablets make you eat more, or is it just taking the tablets that causes weight gain? i would appreciate any answers. May i say to you all migraine is an awfull thing to suffer with, its nice that so many people on here are going through the same thing and can understand. I dont know anyone who suffers from migraine and people just dont understand jusy how bad it makes one feel.

[i:e6a00d3a91]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e6a00d3a91]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Pitziofen for 4 months and from the minute i started taking it my headaches went. I coped with 1.5mg per day and a weeks worth of being reallt knackered during the day, however i have had to come off it as i have pit on 1 and half stone, i am now on Topamax, lost 7 lbs but slowly, after 4 weeks the same pain i used to get is returning, so it is clear to me that it was working. I am stuck to know what to do as i have battled with weight all my life. It didnt just increase my appitite it too put on weight without me eating to much. Hope this helps.

[i:8a199d52bf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8a199d52bf]

• Posted

The pizotifen certainly increased my appetite, especially for cakes, sweets and other snacks. However, in the past I had the kind of metabolism that meant I could eat just about anything and not put on any weight. With pizotifen I gained almost two stone in 18 months going from skinny to normal weight, so I think there is some effect on metabolism as well as appetite. The weight gained has now stopped however........

As far as I'm concerned, that is just about the only significant side-effect I experience, and taking pizotifen has greatly increased my quality of life........

[i:7ec8a986d3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7ec8a986d3]

• Posted

I am convinced I am not eating any more since I have been taking pizotifen yet have put on over half a stone in the last couple of months and its still rising!My weight has always been fairly steady before this.In fact I am making a conscious effort to eat LESS.I am only taking a low dose (1mg)which seems to keep most of the migraine away (prolonged aura type,focal, not much headache)but it comes straight back if I forget to take one.Now getting other unpleasant symptoms so am wondering what on earth else to try!

[i:83d567278c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:83d567278c]

• Posted

Pizotifen did increase my appetite, but I found that eating little and often took away the cravings to eat junk (I stuck to fruit) and to drink more water helped take away the nausea. This stopped working for me, but I do know a colleague who is still on this med and he's happily enjoying a different quality of life. I'm still looking for a preventative cure but good luck. If you're sensible with the diet and go with the increased appetite by eating little and healthily, why not enjoy life without migraine!!!

[i:becc8ebaf3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:becc8ebaf3]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.