hi, think ive got Costochondritis.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive read somewhere that it usually affects the left part of the rib cage. is this true for most people ?

It is for me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have not yet been diagnosed with costochondritis but have had all the symptoms for 6 weeks so pretty sure I have, just waiting on a diagnosis, but yes I have had the pain in my left side mostly and a tender breast bone, my left side ribs under my arm area are sore to touch, I've also had pain In my arm and shoulder.

• Posted

My pain stretches all the way around my rib cage ,front to back and the left side. 

Really sore isn’t it ?

• Posted

Hi, well if it is costochondritis I have it's really sore and scary, I ended up I. A&E twice. When the pain first started thinking it was my heart bcos of the pain in the left side of my chest , I do have a appointment for Thursday with a cardiologist just to make sure it isn't my heart, so if I was you I to would go to your gp to to get a diagnosis as there can be other problems that can cause sore ribs, and yes like you now I look back I remember I had sore ribs at the back and back pain for along time now my pain is at the front I don't have back pain anymore! Don't know if it was costochondritis giving me the back pain for all this time.

• Posted

Yeah mine was pretty much immediately to the left of my sternum about half way down
  • Posted

It was right of centre for me. It can be either side as it is a mechanical problem of the back where the ribs join-the costovertebral joints. These become "locked and thus cause extra friction in the front where the ribs join the sternum. A really good osteopath should be able to get the joints moving again and mild exercise of the joints will help to mobilise them. There is a discussion on here about using a backpod. It works!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.