hiatal and throbbing throat top of neck dizziness ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

my hiatal hernia , isnt to bad at the moment no pain or nothing  but at the top of my throat i have like a pulsing throat on and off ,  not so much pain just anoying but its the dizziness that is frightening me feels like im going to pass out anyone else have this im realy worried.......... 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's not usual to get pain from hiatus hernia but it can facilitate reflux by constricting the lower oesophageal sphincter. Pain is usually caused by acid in the refluxate attacking the oesophagus.

when reflux travels the full column, it canbreah the upper oesophageal sphincter. This extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly refred to as LPR) can irritate the throat providing various diverse symptoms.

Continuing via the eustachian tubes to the ears, it can result in various otological symptoms including dizziness (peripheral vertigo) as demonstrated in a paper published in June "Associations between peripheral vertigo and gastroesophageal reflux disease" which demonstrated "statistically significant association between peripheral vertigo and GERD",

You will need to look at ways of reducing your reflux.

Read more about extra-oesophageal reflux by scrolling down the contents list (home page) of DownWithAcid org uk.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Barretts , i try watch things i eat non greasy ect , but at the moment i dont get any heartburn like that no matter what i eat ? so i dont get any reflux  that i notice ? i have put blocks under bed , apart from trapped wind i dont get any pain its just the pulsing feeling back of throat and light headed feeling like i gona faint very frightening  . im on 20mg mornin night omoprazole the odd one during the day now and then 
    • Posted

Hey Chris. I have just had my barium swallow, which I actually found more distressing than the gastroscopy in all fairness lol. Wouldnt' tell me a lot but said it was taking a long time for food going down to my stomach upper seemed to be okay with no aspiration which was what they were worried about due to my muscular dystrophy. Is this caused by the hernia. My gastroscopy showed no lesions in the oesophagus. I had this Wedesday. If it was anything serious they would have told me wouldn't they? The radiographer said there was no tumours or strictures. But when I asked the radiologist who was watching the scan if everything was okay he would not tell me anything. Said they would have to look at it in the dark? I am slightly worried that something was missed on gastroscopy or that there is something going on in my throat. Would they have told me by now if it was anything serious and how long can I be expected to wait? I am not due to see the consultant in the general surgery clinic till the 18th of Jan. Does this name of surgery mean they are considering surgery as when I went previously it was called Upper GI? And is reflux very common with hernias and can this cause pain and swallowing problems. Papers online are not very clear about this. Surely if I have swallowing problems due to this there would be some scarring in my gullet? But  do think there was. I am not on any medication yet. Was on ranitidine before I had gastroscopy but not carried on taking it. Did improve with diet but seems to have come back. I get similar symptoms to Gary. Will results be given to my GP before the 18th of January? 
    • Posted

I do get similar to you Gary but I do get reflux I can feel liquid coming back up. I get vertigo a bt but I put that down to my blood pressure lowering pills for my cardiomyopathy (heart failure) and also it is a symptom of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.