Hiatal Hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with Gerds and a Hiatal Hernia, I was wondering if anyone is is experiencing ear constant ear plugging and mild neck pain on one side? I am on 40mg of prolisec. Hoping someone else is experiencing the same as me?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi paul thanks for your reply.my ears are blocked constantly lately and i feel like i have a cold all the time i am so full of phlegm in my nose and throat and yet wen i blow my nose there is nothing.i worry too about cancer as i read the acid coming back up can cause this.i take gaviscon after every meal so i hope this will lessen the acid that does come up.i too suffer with anxiety bed times are the worst for me as wen i lie down i feel im going to choke.i am 45 yrs old feel more like 70 tho!!! i am going to save some money and go and see a private doctor because im sure my nose and throat problems are not related to my hernia.i had a really bad episode back in may i didnt sleep for days it was awful i even went to a&e.the only thing that helped was a decongestant cough medicine which i know is not ideal but it helped me through.i dont feel i have any help or support from my doctors i went a few times wen i was poorly and i asked for a sedative to be prescribed as i could not sleep and was told it was stress related and stress can cause throat problems!! i broke down in her room as i just wanted some help but all she said is i would like you to come back and talk about your stress issues!! i was stressed as i hadnt slept or eaten for days because of my throat!!! its like banging your head against a brick wall at times!!!!
  • Posted

Has anyone experienced ear fullness in both ears with some mild pain in the ears as a symtpom of Hiatal Hernia? I have ear fullness and some pain on and off although mainly it's just the ear fullness?
    • Posted

The ear symptoms can be from extra-oesophageal reflux (commonky known as LPR) which is facilitated by hiatus hernia. Aspirated refluxate can travel via the eustachian tube and can cause the waxing and peripheral vertigo (dizziness).

It's more common in the right ear from lying on your right side (whence reflux is more common).

Find the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux in www DownWithAcid org uk by scrolling down the contents (home) page.

I have always had ear trouble from reflux. As a young boy, I had my ears syringed weekly with th eonly lasting result being scarring to the ears which is still visible today 60 years later.

• Posted

Thanks Barretts! It's comforting to know that others are dealing with the same thing. It makes me feel sane and eases my anxiety ... google can be terrible for your anxiety. You type your symptoms and Cancer comes up ..very nerve racking.
    • Posted

I went to the doctor today and he feels that LPR is probably the reason for my ear issues. Thanks for your input Barretts!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.