Hiatal hernia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all just wondering if you can help me out with a few questions as I'm abit stuck at the moment.

Is it possible that a hiatal hernia could be missed on an endoscopy or a barium swallow? I ask this because although I have been displaying all of the symptoms for the last 2 years I have had 2 endoscopies and one barium and they have picked up nothing whatsoever.

my symptoms are - can't take a full breath unless I yawn/ lean forward slightly. Regurgitating good as it seems to get stuck in my esophagus but this is usually when I'm sitting down, it ranges from me not being able to drink water to being able to gulp very thick milkshake. Heartburn where it feels like my stomach opens if that makes sense? I mean I have no problems chugging gaviscon when this happens. If I look down at my stomach it the left upper abdomen is often raised higher than the other side.

From any of your experiences does this sound familiar? I'm driving myself crazy here 😂

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I get all the symptoms u have and still haven't been diagnosed with the hernia, I regurgitation white foam sometimes food, my stomache very bloated I get twisting feeling in left abdomen, I get breathless bending to tie my kids shoes I'm not big person but my stomach feels full.. I'm waiting for app for endoscopy, my doctor seems to think it's IBS now and put me on 3 tablets a day the stomache is going down and I feel 90% bk to myself.. Iv never had a problem with my bowels so was quite shock when he suggested that.. Hope you get answers soon it's been a long yr with me trying to get to the bottom of it.. Keep us posted how u get on x

• Posted

A sliding Hiatus Hernia is very common and usually nothing to be concerned about. Most people with one live a normal life oblivious to it. A rolling hiatus hernia is more serious and usually requires surgery to correct it.

HH is the most common reason for reflux since it obstructs the operation of the lower oesophageal sphincter muscles.

It would normally be identified with endsocopic examination but not always. If it is small and there is inflammation / oesophagitis present, for instance, it may be difficult to determine.

Barium Swallow will not necessarily show HH. It will assess your perisatlsis and show how well your oesophagus empties.

"Left upper abdomen raised" sounds like bloating rather than HH.

• Posted

"Is it possible that a hiatal hernia could be missed on an endoscopy or a barium swallow"

No way.

• Posted

They did the same thing to me 5 yrs ago the said I had a small hernia but it was nothing for something so small my I was having so much pain and I believe I had a hernia 5 hrs ago but the let drs that were in school to do mine I now have a hernia that is 5 in and I'm having surgery on the 25 of this month my stomach has turned upside down now I can't breath my back hurts all the time an under ny rib cage I have to stay away from sweets for some reason corn syrup is a bid problem I have t been able to burp in yrs thank god it comes out the other end ..lol but put your arms over your head and see if it helps you but Yes I do believe they can or will say they didn't see a hernia if it's to small but I also believe the small ones can give you as much trouble as the big ones from so of the things I read on the forum 

• Posted

I had done 1 endoscopy too. But the result not stated that I have hernia hiatus. But I am sure that I suffer from hernia hiatus. I am sure that the endoscope examination I had done was missed to detect my hernia hiatus. I have read many other user's reply in this forum that their hernia hiatus wasn't found at the first examination, but was found at 2nd, 3rd, or 4th examination. So, I agree that the examination could missed to detect hernia hiatus, except if the examination is done by high experienced examinator.

• Posted

Ask for a barium swallow X-Ray and ask them what they see on the screen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.