Hiatal hernia!?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi xx I'm 99.9% certain I have a hiatal hernia I'm going for a gastroscope on the 6th of April I've to stop omeprazole on the 23rd of this month and I'm extremely worried this 'thing' has taken over my life I'm a nervous wreck with all these weird feelings in my stomach I'm taking anxiety attacks due to the feeling in my stomach and don't know how I'm going to cope without my omeprazole for two weeks,I've read a lot of people who feel the same as I do and I read them when I'm feeling anxious i feel like such a big baby because I get so scared when the symptoms are there,has anyone got suggestions that could help relieve the symptoms,stomach churning well it's under my ribs I'm going to try the water method I tried the self massage but just ended up with a shooting pain under left ribs any advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try taking milk which helps to get rid of hearburn.  You can feel the milk soothing your stomach immediately as you swallow it.  Water doesn't do anything because it is too plain.

• Posted

Hi,I don't drink milk,I should have elaborated on the water I'd read drinking some room temperature water and standing on your tip toes and dropping down about ten times can help pull a hernia down I'm going to give that a try and see if it helps.

• Posted

That sounds a very strange idea; I would ask your doctor about that before you try it.
  • Posted

My Dad had a hiatus hernia for years, known because he had an endoscope done, but he also had a major heart condition, so no surgery for him.

He had to be careful what he ate, his main meal of the day was lunchtime rather than later in the day, no curries, nothing spicy or even cinnamon, no garlic, limited onions, all used to cause him problems, as it does me, I am much the same, OH no beef late in the day, a nightmare of pain and discomfort.

Also used to sip milk, very slowly, warmed up, and often used to belch something terrible and release some of the gas buildup, again I do the same when something disagrees with me.

please go very slowly, don't get tooo upset, its not going to help, you are only going to produce more acid the more upset you are the more acid, its a vicious circle i'm afraid.

• Posted

Yeah I've been reading a lot about it and as horrible as I feel for people it makes me feel less like a hypochondriac,I can't believe that doctors are so blasé about people feeling so ill,I'm going to go to my doctors tomorrow and see if he can help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.