Hiatal Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Just recently I have noticed if I lie on my back and tense my stomach muscles I have a swelling from my naval to under my breast bone. If I touch the area it is extremely painful. When I relax my muscles and sit up the swelling has gone and the pain. Does this sound like an hernia. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear your in pain but yes that's a very common place to get a hernia

Especially in men have you lifted something heavy lately or strained your muscles it's part of your intestines or vowel sticking through the very large muscles if the stomach

As you get older they weaken and it can let it slip between the muscles

Best advice go and get it checked out by a doctor as there's things that can be done to correct it

Keep us posted with your progress

Kev

• Posted

Hi Kevin. I have a severe case of vomiting when on holiday in october this year. Food poisioning i think. I was constantly vomiting for 24 hours. The days that followed i felt like i had been beaten up because of the pain in my ribs abdo sides etc with vomiting.
  • Posted

One way of finding out if it's a hernia is get to your doctor who will refer u and then you can get the right medication wish u the best
  • Posted

Yep, good diagnosis I think . The tummy button seems to give problems, heard people say there is always a weekness in the area. 

I went to my own G.P. with similar symptoms . Verdict : Hospital unlikely to operate unless it really becomes worse and starts bursting . Sad to say it's common condition, after 40s we gain weight and such problems rear their heads.

Told me to lose weight !

Regards,  E

• Posted

Always suffered mild discomfort in that area from above naval to breast bone. But things didn't seem right after the severe episode of vomiting I had on holiday. I only see the bulge if I lie down and raise my head like I'm about to do sit ups. The pain just under the bulge is terrible. But yet I stand up and its hard to feel the bulge. Get stabbing pains in chest sides stomach. A proper pest it is.
  • Posted

Hi all,

​A quick update. I have been diagnosed with a diastasis recti. What this means is stomach muscle pushing upwards and causes discomfort. Exercise will apparently solve the problem.

Thanks again all for your support.

• Posted

That's great Mark glad you know what it is and it can be sorted

Take care

Kevin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.