Hiatal hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone I'm just reading everybody's threads on here and just wanted to let everyone know that in two weeks I will be having a Nissen fundoplication. I am 56 and as I'm reading up on a lot of this I have discovered that I have had this at least 35 to 40 years of my life and that explains a lot of stomach problems I have had over the years and could not explain why and no doctor out there could tell me why I find the problem I have had so many tests done in my life so much medicine and now I'm finding out that it's all related to this. I also have mild cerebral palsy and I'm not sure if that plays into gerd or not I also have sleep apnea in which I have read that they go hand-in-hand GERD and sleep apnea go hand-in-hand I am also on oxygen and I have read where hiatal hernia and gerd affect your level of oxygen. Just wanted to comment on what I found out I am so excited to have his surgery before I was nervous but when I read about all the problems that I've had the majority of my adult life and they all stemmed back from this hiatal hernia and gerd am so ecstatic. Is there anyone that can comment on how long they have had theirs as I am afraid once I get in there to operate they are going to find more problems then they anticipate I also expect them to end up doing an open surgery as opposed to a laparoscopic.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I had reflux problems all my life. I remember being taken to the doctor when I was 3 as my mum was concerned I was a "mouth breather". My nose was always blocked, I was told then it was childhood catarrh that I would grow out of.

Over my life I had many symptoms which I now know were all due to reflux. (The nasal problems are just some of the many manifestations of  aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux.

It wasn't until an astute doctor suggested, when I told him my cough was worst when my heartburn was bad, that the reflux might be entering the bronchi. That was a revolutionary suggestion when he made it 23 years ago but is now widely recognised.

I had been offered a fundoplication in 1997 but it would have been open surgery and I was too scared. I tried in vain to manage it with PPIs instead. They reduce acid not reflux. Then 9 years ago, I eventually had a laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. It was the best thing I ever did. The symptoms I'd had had for 60 years went. I rediscovered a sense of smell. My cough cleared up and I got my life back.

Good luck for your operation.

• Posted

That gives us all such hope. Thank you for remaining on the forum even though you are better. It would be so easy to disappear but you obviously still care and want to help others. Thank you so much.

I'm sitting at the airport after 2 weeks in Vietnam and it's been a struggle with the reflux. Holidays are always difficult for me!!! Change in diet and no proper incline on my bed. I've had reflux 3 years now and I kinda control it with diet but I know everyday I wake up my eosophagus is a bit more damaged as my chest always feels sore in the morning and I can taste the acid in my mouth. The dentist has confirmed there is acid damage on my teeth. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and have the op???? I just can't bare thought of being inactive for 6 weeks. I love my yoga and cycling. Plus I'm scared of something going wrong.

Where did you have your op? I'm in Perth, Australia (originally from uK)

God bless

Dom

• Posted

Hello I wish you all the best and I'm so sorry for what you have been through. I had a hiatal hernia and really bad herd so had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery this past June. The surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm doing good now and would have the surgery all over again if I had to. I had a friend that had the surgery 4 years ago and he is doing really good too. Please don't hesitate to have the surgery as I know it has helped so many people. I have no more gerd and can eat what ever I want and can drink coffee again. I don't ever drink pop because that still burns. I wish you all the best. Take care. Lorray

• Posted

Thanks Dominique,

I didn't actually join this forum to receive help on my condition as that was sorted before, but to provide help where possible. I run a patient supprt charity, Barrett's Wessex, attempting to reduce deaths to oesophageal cancer through raising awareness of Barrett's Oesophagus and the importance of not ignoring persistent heartburn, having spent 15 years studying this.

I had my surgery at Southampton, where I live, which is probably the best centre for dealing with this in UK.

(If you find my personal website, www ChrisRob co uk, you can read more of my story under the Barrett's tab. )

All the best if you decide to pursue the operation. I'm sure there are some great surgeons in Aus. (I visited for the first time last June and July - but East coast (meeting my new granddaughter in Brisbane and visiting Cairns and Sydney as well) . It's a great country.

• Posted

Thank you Lorray that's very reassuring advice. It's probably the way I'm gonna have to go.

Very glad to hear your better. Life must feel so good without reflux!!!

Before the reflux I had 18 yrs of chronic back pain. Life can be very cruel. But hey my back is much better now.

Kind regards

Dom

• Posted

So your name is Chris? I have been wondering.

I shall take a look at your website, thanks.

Yes Australia is an amazing country. I've not been to Sydney or Brisbane yet though. One day.

So you have studied this for 15 years wow. Do you know anything about achalasia? My mum has it and supposingly it's incurable. Her food gets stuck and she can't swallow. She has had a few dilations but the relief is only short term. She's never had reflux but just recently it has started. It's an awful disease and it's so distressing to see her gag on food.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Dominique

• Posted

Although Achalasia isn't my area of expertise, I know someone for whom it is. He runs an achalasia group in London for the Oesophageal Patient Association charity and has produced a slim boklet on it. I'll attempt to send the file to you by a private message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.