Hiatal hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been having panic attacks, racing heart and even more oddly I can feel something move in my chest when I laugh, cough or bend forward and I lose my breathe for a second, I do have a hiatal hernia as well, my doctors thinks I may be feeling it move.. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this? I also have sternum pain and pain under left breast. I’ve had ekg, blood test, X-ray, endoscopy and colonoscopy, the only thing that was found was the hiatal hernia. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I too have a hiatal hernia.  This is tied to a weak diaphragm and can cause ALL the symptoms you are experiencing.  It can be terrifying and even feel like you are going to have a heart attack but I promise, everything you are experiencing is hiatal hernia symptomology.  I am suffering the same and it is terrible.  I am most likely headed in for hernia repair and acid reflux surgery in the next month.  I cannot live this way.  The symptoms are worse when you are having a "flare up" and it sounds like you are.  If you can walk, it helps.  Deep breathing helps.  Blowing up balloons helps.  There is also a yoga breathing technique that helps.  Look on youtube for the video for hiatal hernia exercises.  There is a compound prescription called a "GI cocktail" that helps tremendously when you are having a bad attack.  You can talk to your GI about it.  If they don't know what that is, you may need a new GI.  It is a mix of lidocaine, mylanta and benadryl.  It works miracles when your esophagus and upper stomach are on fire and you are having heart palpitations.  Stay away from chocolate, coffee, and alcohol if you have acid reflux.  Really try to work on diet and exercise.  Walking just 15 minutes a day can help.  There are great and fun walking videos on youtube that you can do inside your home.

I am so very sorry that you are suffering this awful torment.  No one can understand unless they have lived it.  It is internal torture.  Blessings and prayers for your healing, Christa

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Christa! I feel much better knowing I am not the only one going through the same thing! That cocktail you described, they actually gave me that once at the Er when I went in thinking it was my heart but it was actually my hiatal hernia. I will start doing everything you suggested and see if it gives me some relief! Thank you so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.