Hiatal Hernia all of a sudden not there??? Help please :)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okk so a few years back I got horrible Acid reflux and so doctor did and endoscopy which he said showed a hiatal hernia! I started taking prilosec once a day. Fast forward 2 years and 1/2 i decided to wean off prilosec and began having horrible pain again, so another doctor from the same office did an endoscopy and ahe said I had a hiatal hernia. Well today another doctor did another Hiatal hernia because my stomach was killing me and I felt like I had lpr because theoat was burning. This doctor was from a whole new office, he said everything was normal and I had absolutely no hiatal hernia!!!! Im still feeling pains! What could be the cause? Im only 27 and just became a nirse so I would really like to get better to start working. Can anyone help me explain this and give me advice on what worked for them! Like probiotics enzymes etc.Thank you biggrin))

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is possible for a sliding hiatus hernia to self correct but probably more likely to be a poor diagnosis at your last scope.

If you are feeling the pain of acid refluxing, your best advice is to firstly reduce the acid. If the Prilosec (omeprazole - a PPI) was working, why stop it?

Omeprazole is a powerful drug that should be taken at minimal effective dose and, if long term, monitored by a doctor.

Acid hypersectretion needs controlling, PPIs stop the production of some of the cells that produce the acid. If you are one of the increasing number who feel PPIs are not for you, the less effective H2 blockers (eg ranitidine (Zantac)) should be used. They block some of the signals telling the cells to make acid.

Although some may act as a soothing balm, adding different foodstuffs or supplements etc will not reduce the acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.