Hiatal Hernia and gastritis pain.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been in a lot of pain for the last 5 days in my stomach and chest. It hurts to swallow water or even eat food. I haven't eaten because my stomach and esophagus cramps. My doctor has me on nexium and gaviston which after 5 days is relieving most of the pain until I eat. What other natural remedies could I try to soothe cramping feeling and speed up the healing?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. Stick to what the doctors tell you. 

As far as natural remedies, I have used slippery elm tablets combined with aloe Vera juice in the past and found them very helpful for such issues. The slippery elm is a natural anti inflammatory for the stomach in particular and the aloe juice is fantastic for the digestive system in general.

God bless and praying you get better soon.

• Posted

Thank you 7 years ago when I got sick like this for the very first time I did slippery elm and aloe vera and it did help. I had forgotten about that. And thank you for the prayers those are so appreciated.
  • Posted

I don:t know of much natural that will help out in a short amount of time. What you are taking is probably good for about 6 weeks. Then after you have healed some, you may want to try Valerian root - to calm calm your nerves and help you sleep, also you may try Comfrey leaf - to help head your stomach and over-all repairing of body cells. I sugest you try them one at a time, so if any bad reactions, you will know which not to take again.
    • Posted

My grandma uses comfrey for a lot of things that is a good idea. Thank you.
  • Posted

The healing process even on a PPI can take months and not weeks.  OK, the results show that after around the 8 week mark something like 80% of cases are well on the mend. But it can take 6-12 months.  After that period you may still require long term PPIs or H2 blocker.  Of course it depends on how bad your HH is and if you also have gastritis, have you had an endoscopy? to see how large the HH is and what other (if any) problems are in within your tum?? This is a slow process, sorry but the damage has to repair whist your stomach does it everyday jobs at a fraction of its performance. Like everyone will comment avoid the fatty foods and alcohol, oh and sweets. Have good old porridge in the morning and at night, simple but works a treat. I found that Pantoprazole 40mg worked the best to heal and 20mg/day worked best at control but now I've had to come off of that after a few years because of itching mad!!  Back on H2s which do little for me even at 450mg/day.  What I'm trying to say rather poorly is everyone is different at different times.  The chances are high your rebound with problems even after a good spell so be prepared to adjust meds and lifestyle all the time. Good luck. 

• Posted

I had a scope done 7 years ago that going the hernia and then another done 3 yrs ago and they said it wasn't there. My doctor says it can slide back and forth. Right now I am able to eat but only very bland foods in very small portions, carbs tend to feel the easiest for some reason, things like potatoes, crackers, chicken noodle soup, and toast. I assume patience is going to be key during this process. Just happy I have improved in the past couple days.

• Posted

After 2 weeks I have had ok days and still bad days. The pressure, pain, spasms in my chest is really the biggest problem. It makes me feel weak and my heart beats fast and palpitates. I am having to be very careful as to what I eat. Very very small portions and super bland foods. If I eat to much I vomit small amounts a few times and if I eat something to greasy or with dairy I am in pain for a couple days. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks which I need to loose but this is torched. On top of all my stomach issues I also have seizures, luckily I haven't had a seizure yet but I have felt a few coming on but never break. My stomach issues seem to weaken my seizure threshold. Unfornately I haven't been able to try aloe vera and slippery elm because my small town health food store was out of the mixture I used to drink and I haven't been able to go back. I ate sausage in a small burrito yesterday and have been in extreme pain since. I am hoping that with better food choices I will be able to keep this horrible pain away until my stomach is healed? Does anyone know how long it can take to heal?

• Posted

Maybe try a food diary to see if a particular food is irritating your stomach.  Gastriis can cause a lot of food triggers.  For the haitus hernia, try softer foods that are easier to swallow.
  • Posted

I inflammation of gastritis and esophagitis with bile in my stomach no gallbladder.

Taking aloe vera 1 tsp 3 days 7 a.m., 4 p.m

After 3 days 1 tsp 7 a.m., 12 p.m. ,4 p.m. and 8 p.m. After those three days two teaspoons 7 a.m. 12p.m. and 1tbsp. 8 p.m. I was taking Nexium but cause nauseous. So l stop it. Still taking the aloe vera. What would you recommend for burning pain?

• Posted

I inflammation of gastritis and esophagitis with bile in my stomach no gallbladder.

Taking aloe vera 1 tsp 3 days 7 a.m., 4 p.m

After 3 days 1 tsp 7 a.m., 12 p.m. ,4 p.m. and 8 p.m. After those three days two teaspoons 7 a.m. 12p.m. and 1tbsp. 8 p.m. I was taking Nexium but cause nauseous. So l stop it. Still taking the aloe vera. What would you recommend for burning pain?

• Posted

I had a hard time with the nexium at first also but it is supposed help repair damage, so I think its worth taking. Pepto bismol helps coat everything well and when the pain is bad enough I chugg a few tables spoons. I've also found that a combo of slippery elm and aloe vera work really well. Slippery elm has like a numbing or relaxing affect, it tastes nasty but when your desperate you'll try anything. Best of luck.

• Posted

Also if your burning is heartburn then Gaviston works great too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.