Hiatal hernia / chest pain / exercise / burping / dizziness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey folks

Does anybody else get this? Basically I went on the running machine today, done a brisk walk for 40 minutes. After I stopped chest pain, dizziness, problems getting a breath. I have a 6cm hiatal hernia. So this went on for awhile, I took a big drink of gaviscon and burped a lot and it all seemed to pass. It's not the first time this has happened so it is the hernia. I'm guessing it's because I chest breathe so it's causing a lot of trapped air which could then be irritating the vagus nerve and affecting the lungs as well. My heart has been checked and it's fine. Very scary though when it happens. Anybody else get the same and how to stop it? It's bad when I can't even go for a walk without it affecting me

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Mine did the same thing but I didn't need to walk or do anything mine was 10 cm which was huge my was called a paraesophageal hiatal hernia which means the whole stomach slip in to my chest more people don't realize that most drs have never had a hiatal hernia they read text book about them I new for 4 or 5 yrs something was wrong they even took my gallbladder out I told them I still had the same feeling they told me it was phantom pain which was bulls.. I new something was really wrong I had test after test then finally I got a dr that would listen to me well I'm telling people that gave a hiatal hernia it will only get worse they can give you all the meds they want it will eventually get worse more dr will say it's to small ...again bullsh.t find a dr. That will listen to me the bigger it get the worse it will feel 

• Posted

Hi Chris

I get the same thing. I take the mylanta with simethocone and that usually helps. I agree with you that the belching relieves the pressure on the vagus nerve. It happened to me when I was driving , I couldn't think straight and got lost. Very scary stuff.

Im talking to my doctor about surgery for it.

Take care

Lynne

• Posted

Same here, before I knew I had a Hernia I would tell my Doctors that my symptoms seemed to get worse when I drove my car. They thought I was crazy but now it makes sense
  • Posted

I'm not sure of the size of my hiatus hernia but doc said they measure from 1-5 5 being the larger. Mine was very close to 5. I have heard about the scary chest pain and finally it's happening to me. I also had checks done on my heart but all good as well. It mainly happened when I ate so I literally stopped eating - that helped and eventually went onto very light meals. Now I have just gone through a month of this and in the last week it has disappeared Even with the bulkier meals. One time it did come back while I rolled onto my stomach at night. ( I have always slept on my stomach)So since I havnt slept That way it has disappeared - wether or not that upsets it I don't know. I take Parietal for the acid reflux. Works well. I'm not much help I know but I do sympathise with you regarding the chest pain. I hope you can find an answer soon

• Posted

Hi Chris & Everyone, I have the exact same problem when I walk, belching and trouble breathing filling up with wind. The Doctor's are telling me it is angina but I have an endoscopy next week. I have a feeling it is the hernia, it was quite small when I first did it many years ago and my GP said don't worry about it unless it is giving you trouble. It certainly is now and the vagus nerve is causing some scary sensations, sooner they take a look at this the better.

• Posted

Hi everyone. I have lot of trouble with my hiatal hernia. I as well burp a lot and get dizzy after a run and it's so scary. I always think my doctor missed something when performing the endoscopy. I get stomach discomfort daily. A lot of rumbling and gurgling under my left rib. I don't know what to do anymore. It's really affecting my quality of life. Makes me super sad.

• Posted

hi Chris, I am going through the same thing right now, it's so bad this time I'm off work. I'm dizzy, feel weak, short of breath & feel as if there is a blockage in my throat, its difficult to swallow & its getting worse. My GP keeps telling me operation for sliding hiatus hernia are rare now because the heart has too be stopped during surgery but my niece had the op 3 years ago, mind you she still suffers from foamy vomiting. I'm so sick of it, it's been 5 years & it wrecks my life, I'm 66, still working full time for the NHS & want to continue to do so, but life is hell with this thing in my stomach & chest & now throat. Any advice would be fab. Anyone had the op?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.