Hiatal Hernia - Cycling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Its a question for you cyclists out there.Having been diagnosed with a HH I am wondering whether I should revert from the dropped bars on my bike to straight ones. This would afford me a more upright riding position which hopefully would take the pressure off of my stomach. Have any of you had to do that and does it work.Or rather than do that have you just heightened your drop bars. It would be useful to read how you have dealt with this problem.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ted.

I am a cyclist myself. I now use straight bars.

You will probably be OK with drops as long as your stomach is reasonably empty but I found even taking a swig from the water bottle out on the road can reflux.

The Dutch style position works fine for me and actually helps peristalsis. But I'm not a racer - a couple of hours or so at an average 12mph is fine for me.

• Posted

Yet again thanks Barretts that is really useful info.

I too am not a racer and I cycle about the same speed as you so I think later today I will go out into the garage and fit some trekking bars I have. Hopefully as well as straightening my bike more they will also give me a few alternative hand positions which I like with dropped bars. Because I had my Roberts built for me I have been loathe to fit them before because the frame was designed for drops but now I think its a needs must situation. Now just hoping my CT scan next week will not show up anything malicious. Thanks again Ted.

• Posted

I am both a cyclist and a motorcyclist. I did have to get rid of my sports motorcycle because the leaning over position aggrevated my reflux.

I recently moved from a mountain bike to a road bike and so far no problems, but I rarely ride on the drop bars as I prefer a more upright riding position. I find that tight fitting clothing is one of the worse things to aggrevate my reflux but cycling clothing tends to be pretty stretchy

• Posted

Thanks wknight again interesting because I too ride a motorcycle and having owned a few Honda blackbirds I now ride a BMW GS1200. Being more upright is as you say far more preferable. I have just come in from the garage to watch the rugby having fitted the trekking bars I told Barretts about. I will see if it feels better to ride tomorrow now.Thanks again for replying Ted
  • Posted

HI Ted

my HH has just been re diagonosed ...I use drop bars  but never relised that my cycle position could cause the problem...I tend to avoid bending over to much 

• Posted

Thanks John. I will see how the trekking bars are tomorrow but given my frame was designed for drops I am wondering whether because of different muscles being used it will just make it harder work.

I can soon change the bars back if it does.

Regards Ted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.