Hiatal hernia pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia early 2018. And my main symptoms are belching a lot and pain on the upper left of my abdomen , at times under the ribs or below my left breast. I take PPIs on and off but the pain is almost felt daily. It's a dull but persistent pain. Does anyone have this type of symptom with their HH? I am worried that something was missed during my endoscopy. I have tried to accept the diagnosis but I m wondering if the HH causes daily pain and discomfort.

This is making me really anxious. Are they any other tests you would suggest I do just to make sure ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christelle,

the symptom your outlining would be common enough to have pain around that area with a HH. I'm no doctor but get a lot of different pains with it myself.

hiatus hernia if you have bad symptoms can make you feel like there is something very wrong but some people are effected worse than others from it. its mad that something that happens so easily to so many people cant seem to be cured

• Posted

Exactly! I wonder why it's so difficult to be cured. Even after PPIs I still struggle with it. And it's depressing.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

I think you are experiencing esphogical spasms. They are very painful. Mine were in the upper adomenon and in my left shoulder accompanied by feeling sick and feeling like I was running a fever. The first eposides would last about 10 minutes. The length would increase over time to more than an hour and the last eposide lasted all day. I finally went the the hospital emergency room where they said I had a large Hiatel Hernia that would need surgery. All of my doctors had known before I had a hiatel hernia but chose to let it go. When I had the surgery, the surgeon discovered that my stomach was 100% in my chest. It's been almost 2 years since the surgery and I am doing ok. No acid reflux anymore but I do have to watch that I don't overate at meals. If you do you can get what they call dumping syndrome which will cause you to feel weak and sick or you can get severe diarreha. You just have to be careful and eat small meals. They told me only to eat until I fill full. Don't fill you plate this includes salads. It's not so much what you eat as to how much you eat.Good Luck. I hope you get this resolved. Hope this helps you.

• Posted

My doctor put me on Metoclopramide and it is life changing!! I take pepcid once in the morning and once at night and sometimes skip the night time one. I was taking Omeprazole twice a day and pepcid two or three times a day and was still miserable! . (I didn't spell those right, sorry?)

This has been a huge difference!! Ask you doctor about it.

• Posted

I was put on metoclopramide when I was diagnosed. I think I will ask for another dose. Thank you so much. Were you getting pain as well?

• Posted

My biggest problem was nausea, but yes some pain, but not constant.

• Posted

hello

im glad i cross this . i have been feeling weird . i was diagnose with GERD , acid reflux and a small hiatal hernia . and these past few days i have a pain obmy left shoulder, goes down to my left breast and down my armpit and my upper left abdiminal. I take nexium 20mg and i take carafe 10ml.

have anyone have this ?

• Posted

I have the same exact symptoms. pain in my shoulder that radiates to my left breast and under arm. I ended up doing some breast check as my anxiety went over the roof. I haven't found anything that helps. the pain comes and goes. it makes me very miserable. I m only 36 years old and I have so many issues going on. very depressing.

• Posted

My dad has been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia after weeks of near agony in the center of his chest/top of his abdomen. He was started on 15mg pantoprazole, then changed to 30mg lansoprazole and he says it's still not taking it off. He says there's always a niggly feeling, but throughout the day it peaks then troughs, and is usually worst in an evening and through the night. He's been back on phone to GP who has told him to take 30mg twice daily alongside 5/10ml gaviscon 4x a day so will see how that goes but I'm just a bit concerned that the 60mg a day is a very high dose and doesn't seem to be documented anywhere apart from for treating h-pylori. Has anyone else been on this high a dose, and if so how did you get on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.