Hiatal Hernia Scary Symptoms and Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia and have been very depressed and in pain. I was wondering what other people's symptoms were and if mine are normal (even for a small hernia).

I sometimes have trouble with the feeling of food getting stuck in my throat.

I have pain dull achey and sometimes sharp pain like am expanding balloon under my left ribs mostly near the sternum, sometimes more over. I notice I can press on this pain and sometimes feel a clicking like a jam jar lid. It can last minutes or hours and after pain subsides it feel just sore like I did a workout.

Im afraid of my hernia getting worse because recently I have had chest pain like it feels like someone has punched me in the sternum or other times it feels like my heart will explode out of my chest like a tight burning numb achey feeling. sometimes it is worse then others. It can be either upper chest or on the right side upper chest. amd it sort of radiates, sometimes with this pain i feel like everytime i swallow a bubble of air comes up and makes pain worse. Last night was so bad I had a panic attack and felt dizzy, cold and out of control after the chest pains that lasted two hours then woke up and have had a sore chest all day. Does anyone else experience chest pain? If so what is yours like?

I have also been diagnosed with gerd but i do not suffer from acid reflux.

I am extremely anxious and worried about this condition and I pray for all those who have it.

I would love to hear everyone's stories and experiences. Thank you for taking the time to read some of mine. If you have any suggestions to ease these symptoms I'd love to hear them as well.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I would say you have symptoms from your hiatus hernia. I have had one of these for many years, along with diverticular disease. I take 30mg lansoprazole daily, and have done for several years. In the past, I've had long-term nausea with it, and two years ago I had a heart arrhythmia and fast heart-beat which seemed to be related to it.

Since late November, and still on-going, after helping my son's house removal, but without lifting anything heavy, I started with the high heart rate again and had to rest and take a beta blocker tablet, looking very pale and feeling washed out. Since then, I've had regular nausea and a strange feeling, from which the nausea originates, under my left lower rib. These are, today, like a pressure, which is worse when sitting down. Other days, the discomfort can be further around the ribs and into my back and shoulder blade, too. Sometimes, it seems to link up with my left side IBS problems, even. I can sense a slight tingling in my fingers from it and occasionally feel, not breathless, but needing to take deep breaths. When it's bad, I can't do heavy work for fear of the heart rate shooting up.

It's all weird and makes me anxious, sometimes very. I'm having an online consultation on Thursday with a gastroenterologist, but my GP thinks it is the hernia. I expect he's right.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your reply, I hope your appointment goes well on Thursday. i can definitely relate with the high heart rate. I always have a high heart rate even at rest especially when my symptoms act up. When I had the chest pain the other night I felt the tingling feeling as well in my fingers they almost felt cold too. I have recently been getting a pulsing pain in the right side of my mid back..I also experience tenderness and pain in my right mid abdomen for about two months now and Drs can't tell me what it is. These things make me anxious too, I hope you are able to find some comfort and relief. It's hard not knowing what the next day will bring and what your body will do and why its doing it but as you said it may very well just be the hernias.

• Posted

I also experience nausea, even had a point for almost a year where I got sick everyday.

• Posted

I hope the gastroenterologist "meeting" (by Zoom!) brings me some comforting answers. I find nausea the most difficult symptom to cope with, second to chest discomfort, I suppose, because of the fear that brings in train.

I know that there are many who are clearly worse of, but, oh my, life can be a struggle at times.

• Posted

i definitely understand, we just have to stay strong and hooe for the best and enjoy the little moments that we can. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.