Hiatal Hernia Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have had horrible stomach problems for years. It is a

Hiatal Hernia, with a twist & my stomach up side down. so many tests. The last two really showed my Doctor what was happening with me. The Barium Swallow showed my Hiatal Hernia was enlarged when I lie down but when I stand it is not as bad. then a cat scan showed how my stomach is twisted & upside down. (My Aunt had this when she was 91 .) They say it is hereditary.

So she sent me to a surgeon, who examined me, took me to his office. Told me I needed surgery. I asked him if there was something to shrink it he said no. I am so scared. He will put 5 holes in my stomach. Then pull my stomach down then tie it off or something. not sure. I was all alone so I did not understand it all. I will wake up with a tube down my throat that will stay in as long as I am in the hospital. I want to not go for it. I can not eat as I have horrible stomach pains.

Has anyone ever had anything like this as I have heard it is very painful.

Thank You,

Terry

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello i also have hiatal hernia and i take carafe and nexium . hopefully the doctor explain to you why is necessary have the surgery and he can put youbat ease. how long have your stomach been twisted?

• Posted

Hi Eliaimee,

I take nexium, Genusil, tums, diclomin & many others. Nothing

works. I have had so many tests. This has been going on for years.

It got worse so the sergeon said it is the only way to fix it. Yes, I

have a great Doctor & a great Surgeon. Not sure how long it has

been twisted. They say it is heritary. My Aunt had the same thing.

I do not know how it got upside down either. I was reading his note

to my pcp where he said my stomach is in the wrong place. I feel sick.

just want to make it past the holidays. I hope you have great holidays.

Take Care,

Terry

• Posted

Hi Terry47747, I myself have a small Hiatal Hernia that never really bothers me. It makes good sense that you feel much better when standing because gravity is pulling your stomach down. If you allow your surgeon to tie it in the correct position and fill that hole (hernia) does it not make good sense you will also feel good when standing?

Just make sure your surgeon has lots of experience doing this procedure and give yourself a month or so to recover. I bet you'll feel the better after the first week. I hope this helped and best luck to you.

Happy Holidays

Ron351

• Posted

Hi Ron,

Thanks for writing. Yes, mine is enlarged. I also have a twisted

upside down stomach. I am not looking forward to surgery. I

am kind of scared of it. Now that you reminded me about it

feels better standing up it has to be why the last few nights I

am in pain all night and can not sleep. It is hard to eat without

getting pain. Are they going to do anything for yours? I can not

understand how they can put 5 small holes in my stomach &

pull it down as it is up inside my chest. Just saying that makes

me sick. I hope you have a great New Year.

Terry

• Posted

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the well wishes and same back to you and yours. Why you need to understand how they do it is not too important. The fact that they do and change your life for the better is what's important. Try to remember surgeons these days

transplant hearts and so on. A little old stomach twist should be a piece of cake.

It wouldn't surprise me if you felt better than you ever did before. Go get your surgery and feel the beginning of a new and better life. I hope you are helped by my opinion and that it wasn't too strong.

Best Regards

Ron351

• Posted

Hi Ron,

I like what you said as I never thought about that. This will most likely make me feel alot better. All the time I eat I have pain. So 2019 will be a great year for me. You are so right, surgeons do alot of other things so this will be a piece of cake. You have made me feel alot better. Your

opinion was perfect.

Thank You,

Terry47747

• Posted

have a happy holidays as well . my mother in law had a hernia fixed and went home and when they did that her stomach turned upside down out of no where and she was sick every time she eats and they had to go in again and fix her and she is doing great she had to eat liquids for a short bit but she said she has no problems. she was in her late 60's. my hernia doesnt bother me a whole lot only when i eat spicy food all the time or if I LIFT something. i will pray for a fast recovery . good thoughts and healing .

• Posted

Hi Eliaimee,

Thanks so much for telling me what your Mother went through. So they will be taken care of all mine at the same time. I will be happy when it is over and I can not eat spicy food or lift things like I use to. I am so happy after so many years of dealing with this they finally found out what is wrong with me and will fix it. I am glad yours does not bother you but keep an eye on it and not let it get bad. I wish you luck also. And thanks for the prayers.

Take Care,

Terry47747

• Posted

Terry I have the same kind of hiatal hernia you do. They want to do surgery but I've done a lot of research I've talked to a lot of patients that have had this done and I haven't heard hardly anything positive if anything's most was negative. I've met people that have had to have the surgery three or four times because it comes undone most of them still have difficulty eating and reflux. The one thing I really didn't like was the fact that doctor told me it was about a 50 to 60% satisfaction rate and then he told me if I ever had to vomit I wouldn't be able to. You have to make your own decisions I'm not the best Christian in the world but I'm not going to have the surgery I'm going to let God take care of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.