Hiatal Hernia,what to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I am a male, aged 25 living in Singapore. During July 2018, I felt bloated and went to see my GP.I was also referred to the hospital for a scoping scan and was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia since 3 August 2018. The doctor told me to stop the medication but then after 9 days I started to feel discomfort at the back of my mouth and my throat. It feels that there is sometimes a warm,slightly burning ache,so i decided to continue with medication,nexium again for 15 days . My next appointment with the hospital is on 31 August 2018.

I have been wondering if I should request for surgery since my condition are so mild.But they are so annoying and I have been having sleepless nights. Also,lifestyle changes like sleeping with double pillows is making me ache. May I know if surgery can remove the need for these changes?

I am only 25 and i would prefer not to be on ppi for long time as i heard about the possible side effects and complications.

Sorry if i sound spoilt, but they are legit my concerns.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I suffer from GERDS and have also been diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia.

I have also been sleeping with 2 pillows and ever since i started doing that, i have excruciating pain in my upper body. So much so that i am wondering if i am suffering from fibromylagia.

• Posted

Hi Derrick,

the hiatal hernia protocol is to use the meds until they don’t work, until you have zero quality of life, until your reflux causes Barrett’s Esophagus/cancer, or until your hernia becomes a surgical emergency. 5 years ago I had a tiny hiatal hernia. Now I have a giant hiatal hernia, meaning I have a nonexistent LES. I am on double doses of two different PPIs plus Sucralfate. They are just enough to take the edge off. I’m headed for surgery soon. Don’t mess around with the reflux, especially if it’s up in your throat and mouth. Take the meds if you need them or the acid will eat away your esophagus. Go see your doctor again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.