Hiatal Hernia will it ever stop hurting?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had my endoscope last Monday and the repot was nothing wrong except for a small hiatal Hernia.

My doctor doesn't even want an appointment to discuss it, just next time I'm in!

well I'm in pain that comes and goes all the time. The pain is in my chest ( breastbone area) and no medication seems to work. Currently taking pantoprazole 20 mg morning and afternoon and rinitadine 300 mg in the evening. Pain usually comes on by about 8am everyday.

just taken codeine to get rid of it now, but I can't live on codeine.

i have had this problem since October, but it has been worse since XMAS.

IN NZ I don't think surgery is usually an option, but I can't keep living like this so I think I need to pay and have it done privately.

Anyone had sucess with just medication to get rid of the pain in their chest?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi im mike, I have a hiatal hernia for 5 yrs, and is ruining my life, I cant do things I use to do. It effects my breathing from the dyapgragm
    • Posted

Dearest Michael; please tackle the hernia with PH balancing in your gut and by changing your diet.  I am thinking you have tablets from your gp? if not a teaspoon of bicarb of soda (do not take with milk; lay off the milk for 24 hours as this can affect kidneys long term). - in the interim til you can get to the GP. 

You need some anti-inflammatories(garlic/ turmeric); soluble paracetamol works WELL.lay off the caffeine. Water is one of the best remedies for stomach acid ; works immediatly- but you can't sip water all day i understand!  Addres the PH balance of your stomach; perhaps lower than one might wish and take some digestive enzymes in the interim to digest fats and drink water;and book yourself in for an op.. try juicing some veg wtih olive oil and garlic and something like coconut wtaer from co-op..to drink instead. Take some fibre but not with milk. Tackling the inflammation is IMPORTANT - so you may want to try a herbal remedy (like boswellia serratta) as well as Omeg 3 oils.. wishing you the best ; but get that hernia sorted!!! smile

• Posted

I have not figured out what triggers it nor does any doctor have a solution. I have found a chiroprator who can pull it down but can5 run to her.every time its out, also cant afford to go the much so I try to pull it d8wn my self, every once in a while im successful. I am down to 145lbs. Because I cant eat much at one sitting and when it flares up I dont eat at all
  • Posted

Hi janine; yes you need the hiatal hernia addressed. You might also benefit from reducing your PH Stomach acid further in the interim; Acid will flow out of the stomach and into the eosphagus; cuasing cell damage; so you may want to address this by eating foods ; (taking all vitmans, anti-inflammatories  and anti-inflammatory foods; garlic, boswellia; and also some 'goo bacteria' foods and WATER. (lay off the caffeine etc). It might be worht addressing some sites that help you to reduce your PH balance further than one might wish and taking digestitve enzymes in the interim until your hernia is 'fixed'.  Wishing the best; it can't be easy..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.