Hiatal or abdominal hernia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

In the past 3 years, i have had 3 abdominal surgeries.

In 2014, I had an umbilical hernia repaired. In 2015, I had my gallbladder removed laparascopically. In 2016, I had double hernia surgery (inguinal/abdominal and umbilical).

Since around September, I've noticed that above my incision from my 2x hernia, inhave a pronounced bulge. It's about mid abdomen. I can feel it when I cough and sneeze. It's not too painful when that happens, but if there is pressure on it (laying on my stomach for more than 5 minutes, or leaning over the tub while giving my daughter a bath), it becomes unbearably painful and is extremely tender to the touch.

My question is is it too low for a hiatal hernia, or is it more like an incisional hernia?

Has anyone else dealt with this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Tommy 

I think you need to go see your doctor and if necessary go back and see your surgeon. Sounds like you have had complex abdominal problems and are in need of expert guidance.

• Posted

Had a doctors appointment today and she confirmed that I do have another umbilical hernia, a rather large one.

She referred me to a surgeon for an appointment.

Now I have another choice.

Would you go with the surgeon the refer me too, or go to see a surgeon who did a previous surgery on me, and who was damm good too.

• Posted

Dear Tommy go with your gut reactio(pardon the pun), find out as much as you can about the new surgeon, and then try and work out which is best for you.    Hope all goes well 
    • Posted

Thank you Shirley.

I decided to go back to the surgeon who did my gallbladder surgery.

She was excellent. Extremely professional, courteous, very thoroughly, laid out all the pros and cons of my gallbladdder surgery.

About 5 other people I know have had procedures done by her and they all had nothing but glowing recommendations.

• Posted

Excellent decision hope all goes well
    • Posted

I saw the surgeon today.

It looks like it's not an umbilical hernia, but an Incisional hernia, and it's roughly the size of my fist. The Nurse Practicioner pushed on it and it hurt so bad.

She wants me to have a CT scan done to see how big it is, and to see if it's in danger of strangulation. She also requested the surgical records from my last two hernias to see why they failed.

If it is in danger, we are going to proceed with surgery. If it's not in danger of doing more damage, she would like me to lose some weight before she operates to cut down on the chance of recurrence.

I have my CT scan Thursday L, and I forgot I have to drink barium for that. Blargh.

Just glad that I am over the cold I have where I'm. It sneezing or coughing nearly as much as I was the past 2 weeks.

• Posted

Got the results from the CT back today.

I have the Incisional Hernia along with yet another umbilical hernia.

Neither are in danger of strangulating anything or getting incarcerated, so the surgeon would like me to continue to lose weight and come back in 3 months and discuss fixing them both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.