Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning all. I have suffered with acid reflux for at least the last 6 months with it getting progressively worse during that period. I have also had pain in my left shoulder and left hand side of my upper back (just below my shoulder blade) making it impossible for me to sleep laid flat (I thought i was getting another frozen shoulder but the pain is different) then 7 weeks ago I stopped eating. Within 24 hours I went from eating anything and everything to not wanting anything at all. 2 weeks later and over 1/2 stone lighter, i decided it was best to go to the docs. This took another week for the appointment by which time I had lost another 1/2 stone. She referred me for an urgent gatroscope which I had a week later and the results show inflamation from throat to stomach and beyond and a small (2cm) hiatus hernia. I was given Omaperazole which sorted the acid reflux. I was then sent for a CT scan as they were worried bout the dramatic weight loss (luckily I could afford to lose the weight but I was getting very weary by now having gone from 13 st 12 to 11 st 10 in this time), results in 2 weeks. I have had no sickness or diarhea but I have had serious pain in my back and chest if I eat meat, I have cosequently given up all meat. Some wheat products give me bad indigestion but not all. My question - can such a small Hiatus Hernia cause such huge problems? Are these symptoms normal for H H or could it be Gall Bladder problems as this has also been mentioned. I have asked all these questions but get very vague answers from doctors. I am getting a bit down now as I sleep (sort of) in a reclining chair and feel exhausted due to not eating properley. Any tips gratefully received.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, indeed, HH seems to cause many problems that are not in textbooks or acknowledged by doctors. I have a small HH and gallstones and they blame to gallstones for most of my issues but from reading on these groups, I'm willing to believe many of the symptoms are also due to HH. I have had pain on the left as well as right and centre and also back, shoulder and neck pains and loads of bloating and gas, no appetite and almost all foods upset things. Months ago I could not sleep due to palpitations and adrenaline rushes which others have reported and may be down to vagus nerve irritation I understand but the dr said anxiety! Had a couple of A & E visits and paramedics due to pain that felt like heart and low blood sugars, rapid heartbeats etc.

?Meat and breads, potatoes etc stick in the gullet for me, although my scope was OK, they saw the HH on the CT. Ialso had H Pylori last year and never been quite well since this was treated. Drs will not do any further tests now until Gb out to eliminate it, however i've been waiting months with several cancelled ops already!

?On the plus side, i have felt less ill for the past few months luckily, due to careful eating and rest, taking oregano oil capsules helped me and probiotics. These helped reduce the bad bacteria which I think were causing the gas discomfort and adding to the pain. I really had doubts about the gallbladder removal but had a second opinion and the consultant thought it was right to have it removed. I had stones for years with more manageable symptoms, I hope things work out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.