Hiatus hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I haven’t been diagnosed as having a hiatus hernia and I’ve been really frightened this last few weeks. However I’ve only felt reassured when I’ve read other people’s blogs realising that I’m not alone. 

My main symptoms to begin with were feeling very ill and shaky with terrific heartburn. 

I have now been on Omeprazole for three weeks and the heartburn has subsided. However, I’m still feeling shaky and have a really salty taste in my mouth along with the fact that I cannot lie down at night time to go to sleep as well as being conscious all the time of my heart pulsating down my sternum. 

Has anyone else had these symptoms? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

I’ve been suffering with a hiatus hernia for last few years and since had cause so many problems... when I say problems I mean I devolved health anxiety and it took over my life! The hernia can be sorted with diet and healthier life style but if bad cases will need to have surgery... try takeing a actimal morning and at night for 2 weeks stay away from spices and booze ( both are my nemesis ) light exercise.  Laying down is struggle for me too because your stomach is in your chest  try not eat 2 hours before bed and stay away from caffeine! Sympotoms should go away after a while, if it effects your breathing then speak to doctor again but please please be reassured that nothing else is wrong with you, the hiatal hernier mimics so many different illnesses and if oi google it all google will tell you are dying right away but in actual fact there is so many nerves that cause problems, the acid and the hernia u may get chest pain left arm goes numb neck pain so many but the Vargas nerve also gives off bad information.... you will be ok take the meda and try change your life style and life will resolve back to normal....

• Posted

Hi Sean,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

Yes, I’m also getting intermittent numbness in my left hand.

It’s so reassuring to hear that I’m not the only one suffering but I feel sure that the Doctor  is thinking I’m having a panic attack and making these symptoms up. I just wish there was more information so people are not left worrying unnecessarily. When it all started three weeks ago I was terrified that I was going to die and yes, I was highly anxious because “it” makes you feel extremely frightened.  This has helped me feel a lot calmer,  thank you so much. 

Kind regards

Jane 

• Posted

hi sounds like a hernia. have you had a gastroscopy to diagnose this. i have had 2 failed surgeries and an now facing s third major operstion. my symptoms are so bad. i take so much medication and nothing works. i go through litres of gaviscon. i an unable to lie flat. and cannot eat or drink anything without getting acid reflux and chronic. pain
    • Posted

Hi Jean,

I had a gastroscopy 4 years ago and whilst I was coming round from the anaesthetic I’m certain that the Doctor told me I had a hiatus hernia. However he didn’t write it down so I’d either have to have another one or hope that it could be diagnosed by an ultrasound or maybe a barium meal?? 

Thank you for replying because I really appreciate it, If my problem is all due to a hiatus hernia I can honestly say that I had no idea the symptoms were so awful. 

Kind regards

Jane 

• Posted

i would ask for a repeat barium or a gastroscopy. they are notvpleasant but would are only way of diagnosising hernia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.