Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had awful acid indigestion for a number of years now. Last April I had a gastroscopy and I was found to have oesophagitis stage A. I was prescribed a course of Omeprazole for several weeks, but the reflux continued and this week I've had another Gastrocopy, where it was discovered that the Osophagitis has advanced to grade B and that I have a hiatus hernia which is 7cms.

I visited my GP to discuss and was informed that I'd just have to take Omeprazole for life.

I really don't wish to take these tablets long term, but was informed that there's no option because of my Osophagitus and the risks involved.

I'm wondering whether I will be able to have surgery to repair the hernia? GP informed that it isn't necessary and it's one of those things I'll have to live with. .

Just wonder if anyone experiences similar and has been able to go down the surgery route?

Will the fact that I oesophagitis help my case.

I think I'd prefer to save up and have the procedure done privately than be on those tablets fir life.

Thanks if you can offer advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

doctors dont tend to refer you for surgery unless the heartburn is unbearable and omeprazole isnt controlling it/the hernia becomes trapped in the chest area or a strangulated hernia occurs. if you start suffering really extremely bad pains and have anemia too then they would definatly refer you to have the surgery.

if you can manage the heartburn with the meds and dietary changes then thats so much better than the surgery.

there are after affects from the surgery which arent great( not everyone ) gets them.

plus, my surgeon has told me i still need to continue life long meds because i have barretts.

see how you go with the meds and changes to your diet before you decide if surgery id your best option.

it is a 4/5 hour surgery and painful afterwards, liquid diet for 6 weeks. i prolonged not having the surgery as long as i could.

im left with dumping syndrome and have trouble swallowing certain foods. plus i still have to take the meds.

I hope you can become well in which ever way you decide to go.

best wishes

• Posted

i hate to worry you further but h2 blockers are supposed to be short term use only

8 weeks . its well documented the long term effects of these ppi and further problems later

i know it doesnt help but you might consider alternative solutions with suppliments and diet

• Posted

oh dear, i don't like the sound of that.

all i know is the surgery saved my life and with having Barretts ive been told to take the medication for life.

thank you for making me aware of this.

• Posted

I will be exploring having the surgery, even if it has be done privately and i take out a payment scheme.

I have regular blood tests because my kidney function isn't good anyway. PPIs can affect kidney function.

I spoke with a GP in our practice yesterday and there was just total disinterest in my concerns.

Time to explore possibilities further.

• Posted

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.