Hiatus Hernia- advice needed.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

My name is Bethany I'm 19 years old and hoping someone can give some advice or relate in any way to something that has been causing me a lot of pain for the past four years.

For four years now a few times a month I have severe abdominal pain- above my belly button, I feel sick but have never been sick during this, I get stabbing pains in my sides and I get back ache. I also sometimes suffer with chest pain and acid reflux. 

I have been in hospital more times than I can count, I have had ultra-sounds, x-rays, endoscopys and MRI's and every time the results have come back clear.

Just the day before yesterday,  I had yet another Endoscopy and this time something came back!

I have what the Doctor told me a Hiatus Hernia due to too much acid in my stomach but he didn't tell me too much about this as I have to wait to be referred back to my doctor who will do this and discuss treatment.

Now I am awaiting an appointment with my doctor but today have had my abdominal pains again really badly followed with chest pains and acid reflux. 

I have done some research myself at home but when looking up symptoms for Hiatus Hernia every thing that is coming up I can relate to apart from it isn't listing abdominal pains.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me whether or not the abdominal pains can be caused by the Hiatus Hernia.

Thank you so much for reading and hope to get some replies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethany. I'm new to the forum but have been suffering exactly the same as you for over 3 yrs now. And have had many trips to hospital because of this however no one is doing anything to help. I have been housebound for over 2 yrs  and still no help. I do hope you are not suffering to that extent and that you get the operation which will help. Unfortunately the NHS has gone to pot the past couple years. Pixie ??

• Posted

Also some doctors say the nausea and vomiting and pain has nothing to do wit it. But when I have spoken to sons doctors and patients suffering the same they say it has got to do wit it. It can be very confusing 
  • Posted

Hi Bethany,

I have an umbilical hernia so my problems are different than yours. But I had a friend who had a hiatal hernia for years but she also had an esophageal stricture and needed regular endoscopies with balloon dilatation. She was regularly choking on her food and often vomiting. But I don't recall her ever having abdominal pains. Has your doctor checked for ulcers from the acid in your stomach? Just peptic ulcer symptoms are very painful. They used to treat that with Tagamet but now use Zantac and Prilosec. And Prevacid, I think. Maybe check with your doctor - even the beginning of an ulcer can be painful. I hope you get information and RELIEF soon.

• Posted

Just wanted to update everyone.

I saw my Doctor not long after the Endoscopy. He told me that all of the symptoms I was suffering with were due to an excessive amount of bile and acid in my stomach. The endoscopy came back clear for ulcers etc and the only thing that came back was the Hiatus Hernia. He told me the Hiatus Hernia as off now isn’t bothering me or causing me any pain, it’s the acid and bile. So he’s put me on Pantoprazole to reduce the acid and bile and something called Domperidone to help my body get rid of the acid and bile. We are currently slowly but surely trying different tablets to help stop the symptoms I am suffering with. I must admit since being on the Pantroprazole I’ve not had my symptoms as often as before so overall am happy to finally know what is causing this pain and to be on the right track to stop it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.