Hiatus Hernia advice needed

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with with Hiatus Hernia, through an endoscopy. Mine is a 4cm sliding one.

Over the past 3 months the quality of my life has drastically dropped, I am being sick almost every day (whether I eat or not), getting a burning sensation, burping non stop and well as being bloated constantly.

The doctors have tried various medications before my diagnosis, however nothing has helped.

I've read a lot online in regards to the condition, and frankly don't want to be on tablets for the rest of my life. Is there any way possible I can opt for surgery? My GP has not been helpful at all and at times I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Shaz

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I to have a hiatal hernia. Its only been about a week now and ive been almost fasting due to feeling bloated and nauseous after eating. ive been sipping on lemon water all day and only eating alkaline foods such as fresh fruits and veggies. since i started eating like this my heartburn and indigestion went away. Also what played a big part in making me feel a whole lot better is RED CAYENNE PEPPER. you might think that it would give you heartburn and it might burn a few minutes but it goes away and made me feel almost back to normal ive been taking fresh RED CAYENNE PEPPER daily.for those who don't know CAYENNE PEPPER is a powerful medicinal herb. you can take it fresh or dried. it is definitely worth trying before deciding to have surgery.
  • Posted

Hi rholcombe85, I too have been suffering from a Hiatus Hernia for a while now and after losing weight had seemed to be getting over the symptoms until recently when I started going back to the gym and doing abdominal excersises and now they're back with a vengeance! I went on holiday to Canada last year and a guy told me how good Cayenne pepper was (in this case for heart problems) interesting that you say it works for you. Please tell me how you take it and in what form as I'd be be very interested to give it a try.

thanks, Carl

• Posted

i would chop up less than half a fresh pepper as small as possible so i didnt have to chew and chased it with water
    • Posted

i also stopped eating offending foods. i cut out gluten, high frutose corn syrup, anything processed. i never have heart burn or acid reflux any more. when i first suffered my hiatal hernia my acid reflux was so bad i had to purge to get some relief.
  • Posted

Hi Shaz, I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia, and esophagitis around 23 years ago, and ended up on

Omeprazole, the later on Esomeprazole, which is an identical drug. I was left on this medication without any reviews or blood tests for nearly 20 years. I must say that at first the meds seemed like a life saver, but be warned, the side affects are really insidious, to cut a long story short, I ended up with every side affect , plus a few new ones, related to these drugs. Unfortunately it was after a cancer scare, and all the related tests, cameras up and down every orifice, that my newly qualified Doc made an offhand comment about the link between Esomeprazole and osteoporosis, that I started to investigate other long term side affects. I was horrified to find that people out there are really suffering due to these drugs. My side affects were mild at first, mild insomnia, painful joints, headaches, irritable digestive system, etc. But over a period of around 2 years they went from mild to severe, Liver problems, severe pain in Kidneys, and lower intestines, Joint pains, every joints felt like it had sand and grit grinding between the bones. Bladder problems, the list goes on. I decided to stop taking Esomeprazole which meant going throw withdrawal which isn't pleasant, your acid goes into overdrive, they call in acid rebound, and its a nightmare, but worth it in the end. I ended up on Ranitidine, and Gaviscon Advance. The the worst part of it is the physiological problems Im now suffering from which came out of the blue with a massive panic attack on night in bed just as I was falling asleep, thought it was a heart attack but without the pain. Iv been diagnosed with an Anxiety disorder, which although improved slightly since stopping the esomeprazole, is still controlling my life, anxiety attacks, night terror, agoraphobia, etc. What really get me angry is the fact that Im now only taking Gaviscon to control my reflux, the Hernia, with was pretty bad would seem to have improved 99%, from a point where I couldn't have a sip of water without being in agony, to being able to have a 3 course meal, and a spoonful of Gaviscon without any problems. So now Im on Diazepam as needed to control my anxiety while waiting to see a councilor have CBT, which in the UK can take up to 18 months for an appointment, so the trick now is to avoid becoming a Diazepam addict ;-) As far as key hole surgery, Iv heard to many nightmares to have even contemplated it, it apparently has a high rate of failure, no matter what the docs say. Sorry for rambling on, just really wanted to warn you all about this so called wonder drug, its not, it could wreck your life

• Posted

I suffer from general anxiety disorder for years now but its under control with 20mg citalopram (down to 10 mg now which is a maintance level.biggrin)

I also suffer from Acid Reflux and my doctor say you can only take lansoprazole in combination with citilopram. Just some information for you.

• Posted

As I reported back in March & July I am drug free & symptom free on the whole, despite Doctors saying I should still be taking Pariet (PPI). I have taken up drinking red wine only (no white on the whole) & do not have any problems. I have also started making both kefir water & kefir milk - a strong pro-biotic which is great for any digestive issues. I travelled overseas recently & had a bout of food poisoning & also not being able to prepare my own food & no kefir caused some reflux symptoms. But stopping eating for at least three hours before lying down is a great move and I do not regularly drink coffee any-more either. I eat spinach or rocket every day which I also think is great for acid reflux and start the day with a banana smoothie with kefir milk, chia seeds, & honey & other fruits that may be around in small quantities. I also add small quantities of kefir water which I have fermented a second time with blackcurrant & apple juice to the red wine - quite a winner!
  • Posted

I have pain on my right side of my stomach , lots of tests NO endoscopy , but a Sigmoidoscopy which was supposed to be a Colonoscopy (because of blood in diarrhoea fair enough) , Have old HHI get reflux and had months of not being able to eat hardly any healthy foods .

I was put on Omeprazole which gave me headaches then Lansoprazole which is making me dizzy now plus the sleepiness and tiredness . The Dr reluctant to change them ,' just try them another 2 months ' and so I now take them at night + Gaviscon Advance during the day (still sleepy during day), after reading a few notes about these side effect problems I am going to try just Gaviscon.

I do have a mild HH and this causes reflux and this does go with the PPI's but I need help with getting an endoscopy AND getting new drugs that help .

Can anyone help?Who can I talk to in the medical profession / or an ombudsman ? About getting the right drugs and the much needed endoscopy .

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else had the problem of severe depression with the drugs that I have been given by the Doctor for Hiatus Hernia. I have not found any that do not cause this even Ranitidine. After I have been taking them for about a week I find I am getting more and more depressed and I have to stop taking them. Can anyone suggest any that might not cause this?

• Posted

I asked my doctor for Esomeprazole but was told they were not allowed to prescribe that medicine, anyone here have an idea why this could be , they are a small surgery. I now survive on Gaviscon Ultra and occasional ranitidine .

Is this a postcode surgery problem? or a small surgery funding problem?

• Posted

A good chiropractor experienced in this can help. As well as proper breathing from the diaphragm.
  • Posted

Hi all, I am sorry to hear of your experiences. I got diagnosed with a hiatus hernia today, I also am awaiting the result of three biposies. I have been unwell for 6 months but i have really improved over the past two. I was surprised to hear I had one of these as my symptoms doesn't really match what I have read, however some do. I have suffered weight loss and i had a lot of pain after eating, and my doctor suspected a stomach ulcer. I was expereincing terrible reflux and burning within my stomach, eating for a long time was a problem. Can all of this be a symtom of a hiatus hernia, including weight loss and anemia?

Any way amazingly at the moment I am drug free and here is how. I reduced off omezrapole and went on to ranitidine, over time i slwoly reduced, i stopped two weeks ago for tests and i am still okay. I have soya in tea and for deserts as I have found dairy to set me off, I also feel healthier for it. I also eat so much more healthily. I don't have much chocolate, instead i have organic health bars. I have cut out caffine and i enjoy decaff with no problems. I do have some gluten and wheat free products and I find eating them reduces symtoms. I am non toerant of anyything fizzy, but to be honest I am not sure that is a bad thing. I am amazed how much i have improved with diet changes. I also take multi vitamins and iron. I find smaller amounts of food regular throguh out the day is easier to manage than big meals, though i still have normal meals. I also find chewing gum is a god send, for me it removes some discomfort and symtoms of reflux when i get it. Hope this helps

Sarah

• Posted

Had awful GERD symptoms brought on by anxiety. Have had hiatus hernia for

years and only the odd upset. GP prescribed Omepazole. OMG. whilst it did

knock out the stomach acid and pain, the side effects were awful. After 2 weeks felt quite depressed/ more anxious and mildly paranoid. They induced dreams/nightmares so bad I had to stop taking them. Not to mention the flatulence and constipation. The E numbers for the yellow colour affected my ashthma. (Have now learnt that if I go to the pharmacist and relay this info, they will find an alternative manufacturer). I have now got into a better regime: no food after 7 pm, so I can sleep. Probiotic yoghurt and a banana 1st thing. Small meals. Am cutting out cafeine/alcohol and watching my grains. Certain pilates excercises help. I am also taking Aloe Vera with Manuka honey to keep the oesophagus calm. Has anybody any views on mastic gum?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia 30 years ago and have been on medication .with has to a certain degree worked i have been having problems feeling full and bloated recently and my doctor sent me for a gastroscopy this done i have been informed i have gastric polyps growths in my stomach caused by the medication ,needles to say i now am reluctant to continue on this medication and i am not eating well i need a good diet to follow so i do n ot need any meds as i do not want any more .the polyps must be the reason why i can not eat much without bolating any ideas please 
    • Posted

Hi sandra, if you haven't seen it already please see my post to Shaz below smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.