Hiatus Hernia and breathing issues

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi all.I have a 3 cm sliding haitus hernia and rather alot of symptoms lately all with witch i can kind of deal with exept one,and its breathing issues or to put it better i have the stamina of a old man and i am only 33.when i walk stairs or pick something up i have to stop and catch my breath.I would go to the gym 4 times a week and now well i am basicly house bound.went for the lungs and heart tests and all seems fine there.its 5 years now that i have this thing,but the last few months i am struggling as not being physicly able is getting to me.doctors seem to be a bit lost here when it comes to this and feels like i am on a goose chase with these tests.Does ANYBoDY experience this?

2 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have also had this problem for many, many years. Gastroenterologists told me it was Hiatus hernis, but at last i sawone who diagnosed me with irritabe bowel. It is caused by a food intolerance. So see one who has knowledge about this. I have been put on what is called a fodmap diet, still
  • Posted

Hello, I have been diagnosed with Irritable boweel which is caused by food intolerance. Just have to find a gastroenterologist that is knowledgeable about this. i have been put on what is called a fodmap diet. Still struggling with some of my eating. Bloat something terrible and find impossible to pass gas. Pain also in my lower back and up under right shoulder blade. Stress makes it worse. Do hope this helps. Would like to hear back how you get on.
    • Posted

Yes Kristo. Because the bloating associated with IBS causes the stomach to press up under the diaphragm and cause pressure. Caused pain in the back under the right shoulder blade also right side because if you lift anything heave you breath too deep and that caused big problems. It can cause stroke and/or heart attach because of the rrstriction of the breathingh. Also if the bowel isn't kept moving cand actually cause death nby bowel rupture. It is a very nasty complaint. I would be seeking more information. Sometimes they have to do a small bowel biopsy to see if there is a problem there. I just cannot pass the amount of gas that forms> The fodmap diet is quite complex. i have bought a book written by Sue Shephard on fodmaps. If you have a computer google IBS and look at what it says. Also google Fodmap diets and they have some very tasty dishes which are fodmap free and also low fodmap recipes. The work fodmap stands for fermentable.........to much to write here but very interesting to know,. I have had it all my life. Had appenics out at an early age because the pain resembled that. Took gall bladder out and still no relief. Finally diagnosed with IBS. It is caused by food intolerances. I am off all dairy and wheat has helped a bit. Sugar is also a no no. hope this is helpful. Let me know what you think after youy read all about it.

• Posted

Thank you for your valuable input,i will investigate this possibility
    • Posted

If u get different pains in different spots and Different locations it could be you have Fibromyalgia too

Just saying I'm not noooooo Dr though

• Posted

Yes I have it all the time I even get out of breath when I talk my hernia is 10cm and I am back at hospital tomorrow to find out if they are operating or not
    • Posted

Let me know if you get the op,i am seriously gonna try to push for it,even though the first surgeon said he dont think i need it.Good luck
    • Posted

Sharon did you have the surgery for your hiatal hernia paraesophageal is what I just had done I need to ask someone who has had the the surgery some ? Please let me no
  • Edited

Hey dude. Your not alone. When I was 30 I got diagnosed with a 3cm sliding hernia after going to the doctors with discomfort around my diaphragm/stomach. Anyway I was 31 a year later and I awoke one morning and realized my breathing seemed odd. It felt strange . Bending over and picking things up, stairs, running, talking...anything that should be simple just isn't anymore. I get out of breath and other sensations around my throat and diaphragm area. This all happened overnight. I never got out of breath before, even hardcore workouts barely phased me. It gets me down too man but I don't know what to do either. All I can say is that where these hernias are they push on main nerve and vein bundles. Including vagus nerve which controls all kinds of things. The veins being restricted also limit blood flow.
    • Posted

Thank for the reply,it feels good not to be alone in this if you know what i mean.I just do not think most doctors are aware of ow much a hernia can affect you.They look at you,cuz you are young and look healthy on the outside they say Meh!its stress.Hope you find a solution,best of luck
  • Posted

Hi Kristo you havent said what meds you are on.
    • Posted

I am on omeprazol 20 mg morning and 20 mg before  bed.thats it
    • Posted

I was on those for 2/12 years and felt nausius and breathless nearly all the time,had a word with the Dr and he said although these new drugs are great the bees knees to some people they don,t work for every one and the old drugs zantac etc have been pushed in the background but can be just as effective for some,so he put me on the old Ranitidine and although I,ve only been on them for a week i,m a lot better,nausia almost gone and not as breathless.I was put on 2 tablets a day but I find one is enough to ease the symptoms.I,m going to see a gastroenterologist in August to see if he can sort out the probs I,ll see how things mature from there.Hope you are soon feeling better and don,t be afraid to go back to your Drs if things aren,t right,you know best how you feel.good luck.
    • Posted

great to hear.I have been wondering about these meds now for a while and thinking mbey after this long its causing some issues.Think i will ask for that Ranitidine you mentioned,it cannot hurt more i suppose.Thanks argz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.