Hiatus hernia any information

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a large hiatus hernia close to my removal of the gallbladder 3months ago. I have just started to have burning in my chest. I thought this problem would disappear since my op. It's a case of what now ? I already take medication.  Any ideas ? Please. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello hedy62689....

I was surprised to read what you wrote re hiatus hernia...the heading was about ACE inhibitors

With regard to your situation, it could be that a nerve may have been injured when you had the surgery. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people experiencing unexplained burning sensations in their body, yet the Drs just seem to scratch their heads & act as though they don't know what's going on.

I get burning in the centre of my chest; right in the centre. You know, right at the 'dividing line of the chest. It can be subtle at times, or it can be quite annoying.What I do to help alleviate that burning is to warm up a 'magic bag' or anything else that can be warmed, & place in right on the area. Of course, I would not place it directly on the skin, but on top of my t-shirt or whatever. After a few minutes, I get relief. I'm not saying this would work for you, but don't you think it's worth a try? 

You did state that you take medication. Is this for the burning? If so, I don't want to discourage you, but anyone I speak with, or personal experience..medication does nothing for the burning. I'm told by good authority that burning is usually a nerve problem. Hell, I have burning skin sensations on the bottoms of my feet, & shins. Also, the odd spot here/there on the rest of the body. MRI of the spine has shown several degenerative discs, so I expect the Neurologist to blame that as the culprit in my case. I'm not suggesting for a moment that you have an MRI performed.

Over a year ago, I was seeing a different Neurologist who prescribed Gabapentin for the pins/needles & burning sensation. Sorry to say the Gabapentin did nothing for the burning, & the pins/needles were very tolerable, so I stopped taking the medication. 

It boggles my mind that doctors can treat the symptoms but can't cure most diseases. I always pose the question...how  is it they know how to treat the symptoms, but unable to make the problem go away. 

If fires keep breaking out, & a child is seen playing with matches...it makes no sense to keep calling the fire department, rather than taking away the matches. That's my theory.

Hope you fee better soon.

• Posted

With reference to ace inhibitors I could not find a suitable label to discuss hiatus hernia. That's the reason. Thankyou. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.