Hiatus Hernia - Breathing Problems.

Posted , 113 users are following.

A few years ago after an Endoscopy I was diagnosed with a small sliding Hiatus Hernia which I have treated with Omeprezole. Recently I have been encountering some breathing difficulties combined with a staggering amount of reflux and despite doubling to 40mg of Omeprezole the reflux and breathing problems continue. I have just had a further Endoscopy which revealed the same Hiatus Hernia and lots of reflux. I am fairly certain that the Hiatus Hernia/Reflux is responsible for my Breathing problems, but doctors seem to disagree although they can not tell me what is causing it.

I have seen a few similar postings to mine, can not sleep, wake up all sweaty, panicy, can not breathe, but no where can I see where a resolution was arrived at?

So, could the breathing problems be down to the Hiatus Hernia and if so how was the problem resolved.

Grateful for any advice.

Regards

Guy Greening.

4 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi to all

Ive had a 3cm hiatus hernia for 2 years now. For the first 9 months it was awfull, palpitations that scared me to death, stomach and esophagus spasm. Heartburn, breathing problems and really bad chest pain. II have managed to get mine under control and found the biggest problem was overnight reflux. I didnt feel the pain during my sleep but the next day was awfull. I tried to elevate the bed which helps a little but i found that a swig of gaviscon advance before bed fixed all of my problems. I still take 20mg omeprazol in the morning and that swig of gaviscon gets me through the night. I have been symptom free for sometime now and can eat pretty much anything.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi to all H H sufferer,s

Just returned home from having another endoscopy prior to a operation.

Result is now 37 c m s open Hernia dont know what that means, be glad to have it repaired as it is now putting strain on my other organs,

I also have been told I will need to go on dialyis as i have c k d.

Trying to remain positive and put my trust in my surgeon

We will get better one day WHOOPEE!!!!

• Posted

I sincerely hope that you, and everyone here, have a good recovery. Cheers.
  • Posted

Hiya

I havs experienced all what it is mentioned above and it was driving me crazy with the refux etc. 10 years ago I had keyhole surgery to rectify the problem. The procedure was called Lapriscopic Nissen Fundiplication.

The outcome was totally brilliant and for 10 years I have had absolutely no problems at all. Such a huge relief. I had the procedure done at a Hospital near Basingstoke where the consult there Mr Tim **** is a leader in this field in the UK.

Good luck everyone

[color=indigo:d85fdede4d][size=9:d85fdede4d][b:d85fdede4d][i:d85fdede4d](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/i:d85fdede4d][/b:d85fdede4d][/size:d85fdede4d][/color:d85fdede4d]

• Posted

Hi all. I too have similar symptoms to those outlined here. Its kind of comforting to know that there are other people out there with hernias who are experiencing breathing difficulties/palpitations although i wouldn't wish it on anyone. I had my endoscopy in Feb2012 with diagnosis of small sliding hernia with mild oesophageal inflammation. I'm on 20mg omeprazole morning and night. Occasionally without warning my stomach or somewhere near spasms /palpitates and makes me feel like my heart has gone into irregular beating resulting in massive panic attack (although its happened that often that my panic attacks are more under control now) and is highly stressful. My doctor came up with the idea that my lungs are breathing in acid vapour not too dissimilar from breathing in vapours when granny is making chutney in the kitchen. I don't really buy into this but he is my doctor and actually performed my endoscopy but he had never come across my symptoms before. I think this vagus nerve might have something to do with it.
    • Posted

Hello,

I am having similiar symptoms and the doctors are saying it's all in my head. I have a fairly large Hiatal Hernia and they have me on prescription xantac, 300mg. Recently, I ate quickly, walked up a few stairs and felt this panic feeling in my left stomach. This sensation sends me into a full on panic attack. I went to the hosipital and they said it was afib. I am not convinced that it is afib alone or even if the afib would happen if not for the hernia. This hernia makes life miserable. When I eat, I feel overly full, shallow breathing, burping, heartburn, palpitations and sometimes panicked. If you don't mind, how did you solve your issues if you have and/or how do you convince/find a doctor that knows about this?

I find it strange that my described symptoms can be found easily with a google search but a laundry list of doctors say,"I've never heard of this".

• Posted

HI everyone especially Jo69024, This is not in your head, sounds like just what I had, all the above, same exact things happening to me. 4 docs told me  hernia big or small can bring on afib.  But since I have been here I have had an ablation in , I finally had the surgery, for the first few days I felt really terrible, stroing heart palps, flipping and flopping, speeding up etc, and then after much reasurrance from the doctor and nurses who help with symptoms after surgery they are slowly going away. I have had 5 good days and can't believe it from absolute constant hernia issues , bloating, constant heart palps, beating 150-200 a minute and being cardioverted frequently, all of it quite terrifying I think this worked, I never though I would be ok again and I think they fixed it? they say it takes 6-8 weeks to fully scar up to prevent further problems but so far so good. I also got off nexium got onto to parriot far cheaper and works the same fo rme.. so I have a new life!.. this ablation seems to have worked. The doctor said the hernia can no longer trigger the afib becuase the afib is contained, don't let anyoen tell you the procedure was simple though some have said that its not terible either but it is scary to have them do anything to your heart, they knwo what they are doing though and I trust the procedure, but its a bit tramatic when you wake up your heart is burning and its a little something to go through but highly recomended by me ... ggood luck joe and tardisgirl!.. 
  • Posted

Hi-Just returned from an endoscopy which has revealed a hiatus hernia and I am interested in the above comments. I too have suffered from the most horrendous gastric reflux for which I take Lansoprazole caps -which unfortunately are not always effective. It has been suggested that i ask my g.p. to prescribe Nexium which are apparently more effective though much more expensive -hence g.p's are reluctant to prescribe them (but hey-I've worked since the day I left school and surely am worth it). I am most interested in the comments about the difficulties people are experiencing in breathing as I too have this. Last week I was sitting on my front doorstep at 2 in the morning in the pelting rain desperately trying to get my breath. I didnt realise that there was this connection between the acid reflux and shortness of breath-we live and learn.
    • Posted

A PPI (proton pump inhibitor ) Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) reduce the production of acid by blocking the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid. Acid is necessary for the formation of most ulcers in the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, and the reduction of acid with PPIs prevents ulcers and allows any ulcers that exist in the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum to heal.

Now whether the medication is generic or branded it still contains the same drug!

Now this is the important bit... This medication should be taken first thing on a morning before food, at least 30 mins! Don't blame the prescibers for not prescribing it please!!

• Posted

hi i have the exact same problem im being give puffers for ashma they work to a point

but the solution is to fast for a few days when you get problems

i think my stomock comes up into my chest and restricts my breathing combined with the reflux getting into my lungs so i find if you stop eating for a few days it all calms down again

i find i have to do this every few months

try it

• Posted

I'm a 33 year old male and I began getting breathing problems and palpitations about a year ago. Since then I've had all kinds of heart tests which were normal. I then suggested to my doctor that it could be a hiatus hernia and he referred me for an endoscopy. They found a small hiatus hernia and a cup and spill stomach and confirmed this through a barium swallow. I have now been refered to a surgeon who I saw today. He still seems to find it hard to believe that my symptoms are related to the hernia or reflux which is a bit frustrating as the last consultant was pretty sure about this. The surgeon wants to do another endoscopy (I can't wait!!) and he wants to measure my acid levels throughout the day before going ahead with surgery. The main symptom that I've been having is when I lay down withing 5 hours of eating I feel something tighten and move in my epigastrum which is followed by an increase in heart rate to around 180 bpm. When I stand my heart rate soon drops back in to a normal rhythm.

As the last post I also find that if I don't eat the symptoms reduce. I tried Omeprazole but this made my symptoms worst strangely so I'm just using gaviscon now.

Interestingly the cardiologist I saw was currently publishing a paper on the effects of gerd on the cardiovascular system.

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 54 year old male that works out 7 days/week for at least an hour per day. I am a former National Team member and very active and health conscious. About 20 months ago, I woke up with my heart racing and my breathing very tight, in that I could not take a fully satisfying deep breath, which caused anxiety. long story short, I have no Cardiovascular issues after a complete workup and was diagnosed by endoscopy with Silent Reflux and Hiatal Hernia. If I lay flat at night or go to bed too full, the breathing tightness is exacerbated. I take 40mg Omeperazole in am and Pepsid AC 20 mg prior to bed. It's fairly under control, but sometimes still get the breathing issue on waking, although much less frequently. I have found that using "Box Breathing" techniques ( 5 seconds in thru nose- hold 5 sec at top-5 sec out through pursed lips- 5 sec hold on exhale - repeat 5 mins) help the Vagus Nerve response ( Capillary restriction) greatly and help to bring back the "top of breath". Your comment about your cardiologist prompted me to write this. I would be very interested to read his paper. I 100% beleive that the vagus nerve irritation grossly affects the ability to take a deep breath while experiencing silent reflux. what is the doc's name? Or better yet- do you have a link to his/her article?

• Posted

????good breathing technique! Yes, without a doubt, hiatal hernia can irritate the vagus nerve, causing endless, confusing misery, it is wonderful to see that people are rediscovering this knowledge (it is in the old medical literature), it will help so many! Where I live, across the pond from most of you, apparently, one must become their own healthcare advocate. As we are now #1 in cost, but #31 in outcome! ????Take care, and good luck!

• Posted

I am a full time carer for my 85 yr old mother and am trying to get to the bottom of her symptoms. Last year she had difficulty eating- food did not seem to be digesting very well and she lost over a stone in weight.

At the same time she had breathing problems, panic attacks,anxiety etc. The doctors put it down to chest infection/?heart problem.An x ray for this actually showed a hiatus hernia,but she has not experienced any feelings of acid reflux. I have been v carefully with her diet and she has been fine for last 3 months but recently I have noticed that a short while after eating,she gets very breathless and a bit congested. She can be sitting quietly but as soon as she stands up or walks a few steps, she is immediately short of breath. Everyone keeps telling me that hiatus hernias don't cause any problems but from my observation, her shortness of breath does seem to be related. I would appreciate it if anyone knows who I can approach to get an answer to this pls. My mother does not want any endoscopy or other exploration!Thank you.

• Posted

I have the same thing. Did you ever find out what caused it?
    • Posted

Did you ever get a reply.  I would love to hear from anyone on here who is better than they were.  The posts are a year old - anyone stilll around.

Thanks

G.

• Posted

Hi Gwen45436

I was diagnosed in 2012 with an IPF but an additonal x-ray discovered I have a sliding hiatus hernia for which I am prescribed Lansoprazole 15mg daily.

I get no acid reflux and can eat normally but I do get a lot of mucous in the throat. However, breathing problems comes with the IPF and I have to live with this[ they also gave me oxygen to use if my breathing gets difficult but I resist this as I know one day I will have to use it whether I want to or not.

Kind regards

Jazztrain

• Posted

Hi Jazz, tha.nk you for replying.  IPF sounds scary.  I have panic attacks so anythig to do wiith breathing freaks me out.  The HH is affecting my breathing but this forum is giving me lots of good information and help.

Thanks and regards

Gwen

• Posted

I go to a Chiropractor for my hernia and it helps.   I had a Scuba diving accident a year ago and had difficulty breathing for months. Today I am in someways better than before the accident.   I also had indigestion and heart burn and chronic sinus problem

What I did was first  go to a Chiropractor and a massage therapist.

I saw a doctor but he said my lungs were clear even though I was still having difficult breathing. His answer was keep doing what you are doing as yu are getting better.  I saw a pulmonolgist who thought I have emphysema.  I am very active even when short of breath don't smoke or drink and he didn't do any tests to confirm this.  I thought I might have candida and went on the diet and that helped.  I started on Probiotics and enzymes and antifungal herbs.  The indigestion and heartburn cleared up within a few weeks. After the accident I was suddenly extremely allergic to wheat.  Even a little would cause a breathing problems.  The last thing I did which was 3 months ago was see an internist who put me on an inflammatory diet.  If anyone wants to know about these feel free to ask.  But the big thing was the vitamin D.  Which is linked to breathing problems.  Again I noticed a difference within a week after starting it. Today I have a  slight problem which with breathing but I think it is the hernia as it is resolved after seeing my chiropractor.  I looked at the list of foods not to eat and one of them was chocolate.  I am not allergic to chocolate but have trouble breathing after eating it.  If you find any of this helps you I would love to hear about it.

I have been wondering how much of the breathing was from the hernia and after reading everything here I feel much better knowing that I am not imagining it.

Laurel 0993

• Posted

I have breathing problems too. I cough but not too bad. You seem to have done a lot but unfortunately I have a budget and would like to know what you think best to do for better breathing and to stop coughing please. There are so many supplements it is finding the right one
    • Posted

You are right about this can be expensive.  I suggest you go to Yeast.org and take the test to see if that is your problem.  Even if it isn’t you can try the diet and see if it helps.  This will give you a good starting place to see what works for you. You can also try going wheat free for a couple of weeks.  Wheat free means no wheat and no hidden wheat like beer, soy sauce ect.   If you fail the yeast test start with probiotics and enzymes.  The next I would recommend would be a good multivitamin.  If low Vitamin d is the problem you can get tested but if you don’t have insurance then start at 5000 units a day which is a safe dose.  If you have a hernia there are certain foods you can try eliminating and see if that helps.  Look at Web MD.  Some insurance cover Chiropractic and massage. If yours doesn’t  see if there is a school near by.  Students have to practice on someone.  When you go to buy your supplements go to a health food store that has someone knowledgeable about herbs and vitamins and buy a good quality.   

Hope this helps.  Write back and let me know.

Laurel09942

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.