Hiatus Hernia constant pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a hiatus hernia for about 3 years which I manage with omeprazole .  I never get acid reflux just a pain top of stomach .  The last 2 weeks I have had a constant ache top of stomach and to the right side under my breast and round to my back.  Does anyone have similar symptoms and does it eventually go away as its getting me down.  I went to the Doctor and he said come back in3 week.  I have just been on holiday and probably ate too rich food and wine!!  I will stop worrying if its normal.  I have been taking 3 omeprozoles a day to see if it will go.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You will probably need surgery.  I had one that was entirely in my chest.  You need to find out why you are getting the pains.  Something is not right.  You need someone to have it checked out.  It could be an emergency which would require immediately.  Don't mean to frighten you but to be sure you need to have a doctor check this out.  Keep after them until you get a satisfactory answer.  

• Posted

Thanks I went last week and they said come back in 3 weeks. I don't think I will wait that long.

• Posted

Sometimes you have to take charge of your own health.  You just need to keep pushing until you are satisfied that they have pin-pointed the problem and have the correct solution.  If you do have surgery, you will have to be careful how you eat.  You will need to eat small meals.  You don't want to overload your stomach because it will cause a dumping which means you ate too fast and/or ate too much at one time.  The surgery itself wasn't bad except you are on a restricted diet for a month or two.  Good luck on finding out what's going on.

• Posted

I agree... hiatus hernia isn't given much attention in my own experience. You have to keep pushing the doctors and sometimes demand for some tests yourself.which is very frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.