Hiatus hernia discomfort

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have a 2cm sliding hernia had an endescope about a week ago and started taking 30mg of lanzoprazole a day. My doctor said I should no longer have pain but am still getting chest pain/heartburn and a dull ache under left rib. Is my doctor right?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also have a 2cm Heital Hernia I take Zantac twice a day and 400mg of Omeprazole every other day and this regimen really helps me I was just like you before I started on these medications but now I feel so much better I still have occasional heartburn and chest pains but it's nothing like it was before I started these meds Good Luck and I hope this helps you

Sincerely Juli B.

• Posted

I've been on Lansoprazole for 6 weeks, still getting discomfort. Just had a follow up endoscope today and it showed this PPI isn't working for me so the recommendation is to change it to another PPI. The GP should be following up on your continuing symptoms. A week maybe isn't long enough to make a difference for sure. I was told it would take 4 weeks to be sure the treatment was working.

• Posted

Thanks Su2 I was on the lanzoprazole for 4 weeks and everything was getting better so I stopped taking it for 3 weeks and was still ok. I then had the endescope and since then everything is back with a vengeance. Not sure whether the scope has aggravated everything. I am due to see my GP tomorrow so will see what they say. I must admit I am starting to feel down with the symptoms as it is interfering with my sleep as the chest pain is always worse at night and I cannot sleep. I am propped up on pillows and have to sleep on my back which for me is not comfy.

• Posted

Hi Loopsie can you not sleep on your chest because it is painful? I've had burning rib/side pain and a burning pain near breastbone for a year and a half. Mine is worse with movement, just walking through grocery store etc. I had an endoscopy done a month and a half ago and they said my stomach was very red and mad and saw a small hiatel hernia. They told me to double my prevacid dosage (I was already taking it from throat irritation from acid reflux from 2 years ago) but no improvement in my pain yet. Wondering if its the hiatel hernia causing this rib pain? I cant sleep on either side or my stomach because any pressure on my ribs (esp left side) is too painful, so i too have to sleep on my back which is very difficult for me. I was just curious if the pressure on your chest caused you pain as well. I just want to be better and get my life back!

• Posted

Hi

I sympathize with you as I know how you feel. The chest pain is more like pressure not acute pain but my sternum in the middle of my chest down to the bottom of my left rib is tender which my GP has said is all to do with the hernia. I have been told to double my lanzoprazole to 60mg a day but I am not sure if this is making me burp more which then brings the heartburn back so it is like a vicious circle. I was feeling much better before the endoscopy when I was not taking any tablets so I am tempted to stop them and see how I go. I hope you start to feel better soon

• Posted

Hi. I'm on 60mg a day and no noticeable increase in side effects. I stopped taking the PPI before my second endoscope thinking they needed me too. The Endoscopologist said not if there's already something being treated. Taking the PPI is advisable, the reflux and gastric symptoms return without them, I'm in more pain than before because I stopped taking them. They are changing me to Omeprazole, 2 by 40mgs a day as the Lanzoprazole 60mg isn't settling the gastritis or healing the ulcer. Best not to stop the medication unless the doctor suggests it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.