Hiatus Hernia, gastritis and reflux! When will this hell end?

Posted , 49 users are following.

Hi everyone. Is there someone out there who is going/has gone through this hell? Three months ago my symptoms started from no-where. Burning acid reflux, claggy throat, bouts of nausea and chest pain. My GP initially prescribed Omeprazole but after three weeks there was no improvement so he sent me for an endoscopy. I was so worked up - my mother died from oesophagal cancer - I had to have sedation which was great - go for it - as you don''t remember a thing! I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia, acid reflux with two mucosal breaks and gastritis. By this time I was a nervous wreck and had lost weight -mainly because it's hard to eat when you feel sick. I was also finding that I was getting full after only eating a few bites. Once again I got really worked up and rang the consultant to say that I had lost about 10lbs in 3 months and had lost my appetitie etc. He sent me for a CT scan which came out totally clear. Blood work was fine too. I should have been happier but am still finding despite being on another PPI and taking metclopradine for the nausea that things haven't improved. My symptoms are now seriously affecting my life and driving my long suffering husband mad with worry too!

They are:

nausea - this comes on in the night - 3 am - and often lasts until the early afternoon the next day

tight chest - feeling of spikes down my gullet and round my waist after eating

exacerbation of my asthma- sometimes linked to the tight chest after eating

lump in throat

loose stools and windy flatulence.

apart from the first bouts, I don't really get heartburn.

I am a teacher and leading a class when you feel sick is awful. The symptoms are worse if I eat late at night - I've done all the stuff with the raised bed head etc - or eat a fatty meal - quiche/pizza.

I have already gone to the GP so many times that I feel embarrassed about it and have developed health anxiety by googling so many websites. My GP has referred me for counselling as I am in such a state about all this. I never dreamed something like this could wreck you life so much. What do I do next? Should I keep badgering the GP until I get the right drugs? How long will the condition take to settle down? Will it ever? Any advice would be really appreciated as I am at my wits' end with this horrible disease. Thanks for reading

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I have a lump feeling in my throat all day everyday like I can't get enough air to breathe I have also got health anxiety from this condition and it is hell I wish it will. Just go away I have chest pain and wake up nausea can't sleep through the night always up I hate it I take the medicine and it barely help me

• Posted

Try having a chirpractor manually push the hernia back through the hiatus . I suffered the same misery as you for two years. Took meds, avoided acidic foods, etc., just got worse and more frequent. Sounds crazy, but the relief from the chiropractic manipulation was instant, especially the from the constant nausea. Took about a week for residual irritation to disappear. I can scarcely believe it, but there are a lot of testimonials to this method. BTW, you should get tested for H. Pylori bacterium, given your symptom of loose stools. Since this is long after your post, one hopes you did find an effective treatment and are no longer suffering in hell as I too did.

• Posted

Eat health and look after you mental health. Go to a health store for options, some supplements can cure you.

• Posted

Well, I'm sorry that there are a lot of people that are hurting. You have just helped me come to a decision on firing my GI. he was claimed to be somewhere in the top in northeastern Chicagoland and his reviews were good. I've been suffering for about 2 years. I'm trying to figure out what I can do for myself. I've been to an ENT, an Allergist (15 food allergies- not to mention inside outside). I have had the skin prick test on allergies (only 65% accurate by the way) Elimination diet is wonderful and helped quite a bit. I have the feeling of lump in the throat, massive bloating, nausea, no Vomiting, pain in chest, and constant dry mouth, Mucus in my throat, sometimes there are changes in my breathing, stomach pain, and of course chronic Gastritis, pelvic Floor dysfunction, and GERD, possible LPR.

I started with a 5 day fast because I could not swallow and constantly had something in my throat. I went the ER 2x's and they treated me for allergies and sent me home. My GI Dr. said that it's all in my head and that my brain is not working with my stomach. I have tried PPI's( they don't work 4 weeks) I tried amitriptyline (used as an antidepressant and nerve pain) nothing worked. So that's what led me to the 5 day fast. (nothing but water) I helped to cleanse the system no doubt and I felt better, but wasn't a hundred percent. I then went on my elimination diet and lost 30Lbs in about 25- 30lbs and I felt better. However, my heart burn never went away and I still get bloated and have stomach cramps.

My question is has anyone ever gotten surgery? if so did it work?

What vitamins do you take?

• Posted

Poos, Pam Fox (www.pamfox.org) teaches a method of deep breathing and manual manipulation by which you can push your hernia, your own self, back under the diaphragm where it belongs. I would not have believed it had i not experienced it but it saved me sooooo much more pain and anguish. It did not hurt, it wasnt difficult and it didnt even take very long. Additionally fwiw i ate a lot of melon, bananas and esp papaya, these were the only foods that felt good to eat before i was able to fix it. No coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, carbonation, spices, citrus or tomatoes or red meat for a good long while...dry toast, those fruits and plain chicken breast got me through. im several months past that terrible time and now i can eat or drink anything i want. Good luck to you--hiatal hernias are pure hell. Try Pam's technique and report back!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.