Hiatus hernia - I think?!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is there anyone out there that can relate to the following story...

I have been to the doctors several times now with a variety of symptoms that all seem to point to hiatus hernia. I thought I could have had a liver problem, which really concerned me but had tests for liver function which were normal-ish but that coupled with an ultrasound said I said I had a slightly fatty liver (no alcohol invloved!), FBCs normal, no gallstones (ultrasound scan confirmed)... So, the doc put me on omperazole as I was bloating and feeling really breathless with chest pain, back pain, rib pain and pain just under ribs and I had a test for H. Pylori which came back negative.

There have been a number of occasions when I have had so much discomfort in my chest, ribs and arm that if it had been on my left side I would have been convinced I was having a heart attack (needless to say it was on my right side!)

So, went to the doctor on the last occasion when my omeprazole ran out and was told to keep going with the omeprazol as if it is a stomach thing it may need longer for it work (I am taking 20mg in the morning and evening), but if this doesn't work then I am to go back for an endoscopy and the thought is either gastritis or an ulcer...

Now, that's all very well but the pain in my right side is still there (ribs, back, side, under the ribs and occsionally jaw and arm), I'm not as blosted but when I am I am really breathless which is often scary, there is muchful wind, dizziness after eating sometimes, occsional feeling of throat being blocked and sometimes a gnawing feeling in my stomach like hunger even if I have eaten. It is pretty much all on the right side and just the odd twinge on the left.

I am a music teacher and professional singer and conductor and I have so much pain/aching after I have sung or played or conducted and I get breathless then too (I suspect it's because I am excerting force on my abdomen and diaphragm, but the pain/ache does go if I stretch, stand up (from my desk at school where it does get achy too) and when I lie down...

I have lost weight as I am scared to eat certain foods and scred of getting bloated even though I am hungry and of course that doesn't help stomach acidity, and have cut out all fat, sugars (apart from Manuka honey) and spices and I am eating a very bland diet that seems to work with little portions and more often.

So there it is! I am willing to hear from anyone who can relate to this or thinks this may be a hiatus hernia as all the pointers are there and yet my doctor still hasn't suggested it might be!

Luke

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds more like gastritis which an endoscopy would confirm. Gastritis is treated with a bland diet which seems to be working for you.. PPIs are also given.

• Posted

There is a possibility you could have a hiatus hernia which can lead to reflux and gastritis which it sounds like you are suffering with.

The fact you are getting breathless and that the pain is as bad as it is, reminds me of when I had a problem with my lungs though. Have you had any tests to listen to and look at your lungs? Do you get sharp pains in your chest when you breathe in? Do you get any armpit pain? Do you get palpitations?

• Posted

Hi LukeMusic

If you doctor has not suggested Hiatus Hernia to you, then you suggest it to him. Then ask to be referred for investigation.

• Posted

Hi lukemusic..

I have had an hiatus hernia for many years.. And apart from the bloating feeling and the reflux i have not had any other of your symptoms.. Spicey food can aggravate but mainly it is the bloating and feeling crap in general if you eat to much.. I am on lansoprazole which keeps it in check most of the time..when mine was found i had 4 ulcers in the hernia.. But i have never experienced your other symptoms.. Hope you get it sorted soon..

• Posted

Simply I think yes I have one I'm supposed to have surgery to repair the Hiatal Hernia

Not enough time right now But let me tell you It creates the weirdest and most annoying symptoms I'm swollen at the breast bone The worst symptom is I feel like I can't breathe after walking down my hall I have to grab my inhaler It pushes into my lungs But all the symptoms you describe is what I go thru

I dont tkae any meds but tums when the acid reflux gets bad I wish you good luck I know I couldn't play my flute like thisLove and Hugs Ally

• Posted

Hi luke , i have gastritis and anxiety , they seem to come together in most people . Have ypu had your vitamin D levels checked ?

• Posted

Its sounds more like gastric and anxiety. Watch your diet and stop worrying. I believe quite numbers of us here do go through the same feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.