Hiatus Hernia, Intolerance to protein, vasoconstriction, strong heart contractions.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ll keep this to the point:

I Used to be in the RAF, and almost instantly after a 4-month tour to Qatar in 2009 I started to have health problems.

Problem (1) Basically over time I start struggling to digest my food, mainly protein. At first this manifests as muscular skeletal problems, followed by hair loss, saggy skin and eventually burning in the stomach, nausea and IBS.

Now here’s the kicker:

Problem (2) After a couple of years I figured out how to fix problem (1), for instance: assist my body’s ability to break down protein or supplement with protein: either by taking a protein shake, free form amino acids, enzyme tablets with HCL, or restrictive diets.

But after a while I start to get vasoconstriction: this is presented as painfully strong heart contractions, blood shot eyes, headaches, shooting pains in arms and neck and ED; all symptoms you would expect from vasoconstriction. The problem begins as transient and then all of a sudden it becomes chronic. When it switches to the chronic state, it takes years to recover, or as long as it takes problem (1) to come back. Since the 1st time I caused problem (2) to go chronic I now also get angina symptoms when problem (1) returns, I imagine due to the strain I put on my heart after it took 3 years for my heart to recover from the chronic state of problem (2).

Oh and I don’t even risk Amino acids or a protein shake anymore, only sparingly do I take enzyme tablets when problem (1) gets bad.

Summary: If I cure problem (1) I get problem (2), to cure problem (2) I need to get back to problem (1) – and problem (2) is far, far worse than problem (1).

I’ve been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, Barrett’s Oesophagus and I also had a parasite (Blastocystis hominis) which I killed off in 2014.

Does anyone else have anything similar: if yes please feel free to ask me questions and I can go into more detail.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi, i have hiatus hernia at 3cm sliding, i get strong palpitations every evening and cant tolerate certain foods, i burp and pass wind alot also, i would imagine at a wild guess that the hernia is irritating the vagas nerve which would cause irregularities in pulse, also the inflammation from gerd would do the same, i also have a nervous system disorder which plays havok with my heart 😦 most people(even my doctor) dont realise that the brain is connected to the heart and stomach a fault in any of these will cause problems in the other. chest pains are common with hernia, sometimes i feel like im having a heart attack. have you had tests done on your heart?

• Posted

Hi Mattchu84, thanks for the response.

Yes I've had the all the standard tests from the hospital with respect to the heart. But really these tests look for markers that highlight common problems like Atherosclerosis, Tachycardia etc. My symptoms and history don't fit with any of these, so I don't even know why the doctors even bother doing the tests; a common fault of theirs is they rely too much on tests and not on patient symptoms. What was interesting was that when my heart contractions were really strong I had an echocardiogram and the dimensions of all the chambers were on the upper limits in the amber zone. 7 months later I went private for another echocardiogram as by this time I was suffering Angina like symptoms. The chambers of my heart for the 1st echo were 60% larger than the 2nd when the heart contractions were far weaker and almost tolerable again. When I questioned this discrepancy with the hospital who did the first echo, instead of recognising the large difference that fit with the change in my symptoms between the two scans, they were more concerned with arguing how they did their scan correctly and my heart was normal, and implying that the private scan was wrong. So be careful if you ever have an echocardiogram, that unless you know what the dimensions of your heart were before you had problems, because of the large permissible range of sizes you won't know if there's been a drastic change.

As for the vagus nerve: I've always thought that this was the cause of my digestion problems, as private tests have shown low stomach acid and low pancreatic enzymes; and the vagus nerve is the only commonality linking the two. But until recently I thought I'd triggered an auto immune response from taking a protein shake that caused my heart problems. But now I think these are also caused by the vagus.

Have you had any heart tests and have you had any tests relating to checking the vagus?

Also, what sort of foods can't you tolerate and is it eating that causes your palpitations in the evening?

I also have problems with the nervous system. I find my nervous system is fine when I'm supplementing my digestion, but once the digestion is a problem the chronic stress returns.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.